Cracked Neck At Headstock/nut

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by johnobub, Aug 10, 2016.

1. johnobub

johnobub New Member

Have a Epiphone 1966 Wilshire reissue, it has a crack at the headstock/nut. Is this a repairable issue? I don't care about cosmetics. 024.jpg 025.jpg 027.jpg 028.jpg

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Can you pull it open more by hand? If so, I'd tape off the two sides of each crack then wick some thin superglue in there while pulling it apart, assuming it's not worse than it looks.

3. johnobub

johnobub New Member

Yes I can open it more by pushing back on the headstock. I'm not sure if the crack is worse than it looks. It seems to be about 3 or 4 inches down from where the headstock meets the nut.

4. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

As Adam said, put some Scotch tape as close to the crack as you can. The glue won't stick to the tape and it reduces the clean up. If you can get your hands on a syringe with a large needle, use it to inject the glue. I prefer to use Titebond I. Clamp it with a caul that is shaped to match the back of the neck and protect the fret board from the clamp. Don't put a block across the frets, you risk compressing them into the slots. If there is any side to side movement, be sure to clamp it across the nut to assure it's lined up. Scrape any squeeze out off with a razor blade taped so there is only as much as the ozze width. You can fill that spot that is missing the finish with CA, then scrape it flush also. A little judicious sanding and buffing will give you a nice smooth surface. Look around at the forums for headstock repairs. There is a lot of info out there.

I'm getting ready to do one of these. I've made a jig that will hold the crack open so I can get good glue coverage and then clamp it down. When I get some other things off the bench and can get to it, I'll post pics.

5. TIC

TIC New Member

I repair cracked necks all the time. use some kind of wedge to hold it open, the heat up some hyde glue, it will flow down in crack, then clamp, the glue being water base will wipe right off, after it cures use 2000 grit around the seams and they will disapear .

6. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

+1

You only get one chance with CA and fixing messes/spills is a royal PITA.

fumblefinger likes this.
  7. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

Here are a few shots of the jig I made to separate the cracks and still get glue into all of the areas I needed to. IMG_1452.JPG IMG_1453.JPG IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1455.JPG