Contrasting Woods for Laminated Bass Type Guitar

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Tatsu, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

I see where one builder uses 11 layers about 4 mm thick each (and Maple "Wings"). I think people normally use Purple Heart, Wenge or Rosewood for laminated bass necks but wondering what you guys recommend for tone and strength.

What I'm trying to do laminate-wise is here: Ideas | Manne Scroll down a bit to "Neck System."

2. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I think wenge and purpleheart with maple veneer accents between each layer looks amazing.

I also like maple and purplheart, or maple and wenge or rosewood. Maple and ebony look amazing, but that can be pretty expensive.

The best looking bass necks, in my opinion, have layers of varying thicknesses, of at least 3 different woods. I've seen 15+ piece ERB necks with veneers, purpleheart, rosewood, hard maple, curly maple, and mahogany.

I think a thin (1/16") layer of carbon fiber would be fun.

3. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Thanks,

I agree with what you said about best look is layers of varying thickness. Just looks great.

4. JSH

JSH New Member

Maple / Black Walnut / Ash wings were popular with the 80's Japanese companies like Matsumoku.

5. Heretic

I think you can use just about any kind of wood that strikes your fancy, within reason. I wouldn't use balsa laminations, or basswood or poplar. But I've used peruvian walnut, curly maple, rosewood, mahogany, purpleheart, maple, ash, sapele, bloodwood, padauk, redheart, cherry....you can use just about anything, I think.

JSH likes this.
  6. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Maple with black walnut, wenge, rosewood or purple heart make a lot of sense to me both for contrasting tone and contrasting color. Of course you could use just about anything but then you're not really using the wood for tuning the tone of the maple.

I saw an article for alternative tone woods somewhere and it said you can use Birch and Cherry to replace Maple. He didn't give any more reason for doing that than price but I see where some builders protest the way exotic woods are irresponsibly logged in foreign countries by refusing to use them. When my trust representative was staying in Thailand, a family reported illegal logging and they machine gunned the parents right in front of the children because one tree is worth a thousand dollars which is more than most make in a year. They can eat a lot of fucking rice for that kind of money. If there was no demand, they'd stop the environmental and human destruction.

7. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

I'm on a Peruvian Walnut kick and have a couple builds going using it. It looks GREAT laminated with maple.

[​IMG]

fumblefinger and JSH like this.
  8. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Yeah, that looks purdy.

9. Heretic

Peruvian is my preferred walnut. I just wish it was available in curly.

Renkenstein likes this.
  10. Renkenstein

My drum sander chatter makes it look curly. ;)

11. Renkenstein

It eases my mind that you use this too, Heretic. Has it proven stable enough for a neck? The 5pc shouldn't have any trouble, but for my other build I've got a 1" wide stringer of it making the core of the neck. It's sandwiched with zebra tho, and that stuff is really rigid, so I figure it'll fly.

12. Heretic

I've used it as body tips and backs, and as narrow stringers in a 5 piece neck, mated with hard maple. It has proven equal to those tasks. I imagine it should be fine as a fat neck core, or even as a solid Peruvian neck. It might be prudent to use CF rods if you do a 1 piece though.

Renkenstein likes this.
  13. VictOr358

VictOr358 Member

My personal two Russian kopeks - go with purple heart. I've got a feeling that PH is more homogenous and way easier to work with than wenge. Check Poro's build. I've also got some splinters =)
    I've done both, 9 ply.
    Also, check the color match.

14. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

I'm really diggin bubinga. My avatar, maple, bubinga and mahogany.

1/4 sawn looks really nice.

[​IMG]

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  15. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

I hate wengé... but it's pretty.
    The simultaneous bass build that's going on is purpleheart with wengé stringer, don't know yet how much I will hate that... :p

VictOr358 likes this.