CNC Build Thread

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Adam, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

This will be a long, drawn out thread, as I've barely got an idea what I'm doing, and don't have the budget to buy everything at once... but I'm jumping right into the deep end, building my own CNC router. My goal is to make it as light as I can, so I want to build it out of extruded aluminum. Here are the parts I've already ordered:

2 x SBR16 850mm 16mm Fully Supported Linear Rail Shaft 4 SBR16UU Block | eBay

1 INA F 303363 CNC Linear Rail 1 INA Ball Bearing Block 600mm x 25mm | eBay

Wantai CNC 3Axis Nema17 Stepper Motor 4000G cm 1 7A Driver 1 7A 36VDC 128MICRO | eBay

Nema17 stepper motors SHOULD work if I can keep the gantry light. I still need to make plans for my build and figure out the lead screws I'll need...

If anyone else has built one let me know. I can use all the help I can get. I might wind up ordering a Gecko G540 some day, but we'll see. For now I'm going Chinese parts, I've read good things about them, and can always upgrade in the future if need be.

KnightroExpress likes this.
  2. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Nice! I will be watching this for sure; I am very interested in the prospect of using cnc for guitars :)

3. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

This is going to be really cool! I'm very interested to see what you come up with :D

4. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

That's pretty sweet, man. My employer is moving the company into a new facility with a very large (5000+ ft^2) shop area. He's going to wall off a little 12x12 room for a CNC router table and an 8x12 room for a spray booth for my projects. We'll use the CNC router to make some aluminum parts that we need from time to time for our business, and he said I am free to use it to make guitars whenever it's not busy making something for him. I just have to supply the cutters.

We're going with a ZenBot 2448 I think. We're going with the Bosch 1618 motor option.
    zenbot 2448 cnc router

So...I'm watching this thread with a great deal of interest.

Purelojik likes this.
  5. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Adding the zenbot to the options I'm looking at now. Yikes, this gets overwhelming quickly lol.

6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

My boss at my day job just took apart his CNC router to fix the bearings, was interesting.

Still waiting on parts.

7. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Ditto, I'm very interested in the prospects out there. Still looking at the homemade one here in my town.....

8. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I've gotten the rails and I got the stepper motors. I didn't realize how tiny NEMA17's were. I've decided I'm going to go ahead and build a small CNC router first to make use of the 17's, and get the experience (plus it's cheaper), and then I can build a full sized unit later.