Chisel neck pocket or round off neck?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by spilla, Jun 9, 2013.

1. spilla

spilla New Member

Im on my first build and have just made my neck pocket template, seems i need to round off the edges of the neck end to match the radius of the router bit or square up the corners of the neck pocket with a chisel. Im planning to round the edges using a file/sandpaper as im not proficient with my chisels. How do you do it and is there another way of matching the neck end to the neck pocket that i haven't mentioned?

2. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

I round the edges of my necks with a template.
    The fretboard still is square and overstands a little.
    Sandpaper and a sanding block works, too.

spilla likes this.
  3. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

I'd agree.

spilla likes this.
  4. JWallace

JWallace Guest

Like Knarbens said, sandpaper on a block if you haven't built this into your templates. Just go slow and keep checking your fit. Remember you can always take a little bit more material off the corners if needed but its a lot harder to put it back.

spilla likes this.
  5. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

i just take straight pieces of wood and put them on the sides and bottom then use a flush router bit and route away. the router bit's bearing will help the bit make nice rounded edges for the pocket if thats what you want. saves time too
    [​IMG]

thats what i did

spilla likes this.
  6. AwDeOh

AwDeOh New Member

If you're confident with a router, you can use the equivalent sized bearing guided round-over bit (ie. 1/2" wide flush trim bit would need a 1/4" radius round-over bit). You just need to set the neck up vertically and flush in a vice with some stock either side of the cutting path at the same height, to support the router so it doesn't tilt.

However I love corner chisels and the results they can give, so if it were me I'd be using a nice sharp corner chisel to make a completely square pocket.

spilla likes this.
  7. spilla

spilla New Member

Thanks guys, ill probably try to make a template for it

@purelogic. Cheers mate, thats how i made the neck pocket template, now im trying to fit the neck into that template (test fit) but the ends of the template are round from the router bit, whereas the neck end is square.

8. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

ah i gotcha. you could trace the diameter of the circle on the corners of the heel and then sand away. it'd take sometime but it'd work

spilla likes this.