Can I spray black OVER Polyurethane?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by IAmLion, Mar 27, 2016.

1. IAmLion

IAmLion New Member

I Just recently build my first guitar and I messed up the natural binding pretty bad... I actually considered this guitar a "prototype" I call it that because I wanted to go through the steps of building the guitar ASAP to see what I would screw up and what tools I am missing. It didn't take me too long to build and it turned out pretty good but the binding is really haggard. I didn't care much until I got 5 coats of poly on it... and now it looks awesome and I'd like to fix the biding... I figured I could spray a black burst over the binding to take the attention/hide how terrible it looks. it is WAY to thick and the line are just jacked up haha!

Here's a picture: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I'd like to just spray OR wipe on a black burst to cover it up a bit. I'd love to hear your opinions on how to deal with the issue. I wanted to know if I could even mix a little of my black oil based stain into the poly for one or two coats?

Thank you in advance for at least taking the time to read my post.

Kind regards.

2. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

3. dewittm

dewittm New Member

I am not sure I would spray over poly; but, here is an approach: First thin some Bull's Eye Shellac 1-to-1 with alcohol. Hand rub the mixture on over the poly. Apply about 3 coats this way. Shellac provides a good bonding agent for the poly and the spray. GOOD LUCK. Let us know how it goes.