Bridge Woes On A 1968 Guild Starfire 6

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Glen K. Peterson, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Glen K. Peterson

Glen K. Peterson New Member

This guitar originally included a Bigsby style tremolo, which has been removed and replaced with a trapeze style tailpiece. It still has the original worn, gold-plated roller-bridge.

IMG_20200427_103518.jpg

Unfortunately, the moving parts on the original bridge buzz. When I took it off, I could see underneath that someone had deepened the radius by hitting it with a hammer. I temporarily stabilized most of it by dripping white glue onto the moving parts (on the theory that white glue is easily removable) but some things still buzz and it looks a little ugly up close. I think the B and high E strings shift side-to-side on the too-wide saddle rollers. I think one or both of these same rollers are buzzing against the bottom of the bridge.

My first choice would be to pop a replacement bridge on there and put the original in the case for posterity. Unfortunately, the post spacing in the bridge is about 80mm instead of the usual 73 or 74mm. I'm not eager to fill-and-drill into the center of this rather attractive and somewhat classic instrument. Suggestions?

Questions:
    - Should I replace a roller-bridge with another roller-bridge even though there's no tremolo any more?
    - Should I try to hack the bridge to fit the guitar instead of the other way around? I can get a wraparound bridge with 81mm posts...
    - Continue to shim and glue the original bridge?
    - Anything else I should consider? A Wooden bridge perhaps? Huh. I wonder if I could make the wooden base of an archtop bridge hug the existing posts?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  2. Bloomworks

Bloomworks New Member

Not sure which method is best for you. However, I do know that clear nail polish works on buzzing bridge parts. It might work better than the white glue. Hope that helps!

Glen K. Peterson likes this.