Big bay taylor - done!

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by gborelli, Mar 8, 2014.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I bought a BBT from Ebay and thought it was an easy fix with a slight cracking in the lower bout and then found out that the crack was a "breaking all the way throught, that the top was 3/4 loose and the bottom came completely off.
    [​IMG]
    It was a lot worse than what you see in the picture. And then the light top was dirty and stained.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I pore used a wood filler and sanded, sealed and stained then use a small paintbrush to get as close to what the finish looked as I could

[​IMG]

I sanded and stained the top a darker color and stained the sides worked on the bridge and neck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Polished it and today I took it to a friend who owns a music store here and town and he is hanging it there for sale. I am trying to stay away from Evil Bay if I can. 20% commissions + they they take a % of the shipping fees is getting way to expensive to be able to sell something like this and even break even. I have at the store for $280 including the Taylor gig bag and new set of Elixer strings. It plays great!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  2. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Looks great too. Nice job!

3. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Thanks,

I took a page from your post on the Martin and I polished and filed the frets too. It felt good get one done. I also finished my first build Sunday.

http://www.luthiertalk.com/forums/guitar-building/479-my-first-build-2.html

I brought it to the guy I made it for and he was really jazzed. Hoping he sells it for good price. I made it to help him pay some bills.

G

jkes01 likes this.