Best Source To Get Good Binding In A Nice Cream Color?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Dave Locher, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

There are lots of sources for binding, but I've never used any before and I want a nice cream color for my next build. Actually, in a perfect world I'd find black/cream or even cream/black/cream.
    So where can I get the best stuff for a newbie to use? LMI? Stewmac?
    I bought some white/black/white from LMI last year, but it had very uneven edges and I don't want to buy a special tool to cut it down just for one guitar. I bought some "cream" from an eBay supplier but it's really more of an almost greenish color. It also came from China so long-term durability scares me off a bit.
    Anyone know where I can get a mellow yellowish creamy color that is cut nice and straight AND will hold up well?

2. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

No one can tell me where to order some cream binding that is ready to install as is??

3. pshupe

pshupe Member

What do you mean by a nice cream colour? Maybe post a swatch. Stew Mac sells cream binding but I find it's too pinkish and isn't really that easy to work with. When it bends it goes a white colour and patching it with melted binding changes the colour when it solidifies, so the patch is noticeable. Bartlett Guitar Parts sells cream binding that is less pink, but is closer to white. It is really easy to work with and melts and bends seamlessly. I think multilaminates, depending on thickness, are easier to put on individually as they are thinner and bend around corners much better.

Cheers Peter.

4. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I guess by "nice" I just mean NOT that pinkish color Stewmac's sell and not the greenish stuff I got on eBay.
    I've never heard of Bartlett before but will check them out. Thank you!

5. JWallace

JWallace New Member

skyjerk likes this.
  6. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

I will try the Allparts (since it is exactly 1/10th the cost of the Bartlett).
    I don't know why I did not think to say this in the original post – I'm looking for something that perfectly matches DiMarzio cream humbucker's. One shade lighter would be OK, but it has to be in the same general color spectrum.

7. skyjerk

skyjerk Member

I second allparts. their cream binding is all I use. I, too, find the Stewmac stuff an odd pinkish color I dont care for