Are These Cracks Or Nitro Checking I See Here...

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by cluster, Dec 18, 2018.

1. cluster

cluster New Member

hello everyone,

I'm new here and have a question about an issue with a 2009 Gibson SG Custom shop with an ebony fretboard. Please see pictures. There is a crack running up and down each side of the neck just a few millimetres below the binding. Could anyone here comment on this? Is this Nitro checking due to weather change, dry/humid conditions or is it more like damage from impact? Any comments would be appreciated. thanks
    -Joseph

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cluster

cluster New Member

So my take is that Ebony being a very dense wood expands and contracts more than rosewood and therefore will create a seam along the side of the neck along were it is glued. Any comments?

3. cluster

cluster New Member

Bump..

4. Glen K. Peterson

Glen K. Peterson New Member

I can't see the pictures. Sounds like humidity change. The neck is finished, but the fretboard unfinished, so it will shrink faster. I think this is normal for older guitars. If it feels bad, I suppose you could try to "fill" the dip or gap. Cyanoacrylate will work for a small crack. For a larger one, or a dip, you might be better using something like LMI's water-based lacquer, building up several coats, then sanding them all flat to the original finish. You have to sand the cyanoacrylate flat too if you do that. This will be a tricky repair. I do not recommend it for your first finishing job. If you have accumulated sandpaper from 120-4000 grit and an assortment of sanding blocks and polishing compound from previous projects, you're probably qualified.