A few questions about electric guitar building

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by gnr993, Jul 12, 2015.

1. gnr993

gnr993 New Member

Hi everyone I'm new here.
    I started to be interested in guitar building and I need some guidelines to get started
    I watched a lot of Youtube videos and now I started to read a book I bought from Amazon
    But there's a few things I'm still not sure about:
    1. How can I get the sample for the guitar body (I want to start with electic guitar)
    I'm sure there is such a thing.. but I don't know how it's called and how to find it
    2. I want to build a drafting of the guitar with the sizes and everything,
    And I would like to see some examples to what is need to be considered

Thank you very much!

2. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

I think the "sample" you are looking for is called a "template".

3. pshupe

pshupe Member

Check out the Bartlett dwgs here. These are all you need to build an LP style guitar.

www.bartlettguitarparts.com

Start a thread and just start asking questions and post lots of pictures.

Cheers Peter.

4. Jim_E

Jim_E Active Member

If you end up ordering a set of dwg's from the source above, pay extra to have them shipped rolled up, a set of folded drawings is just such a stupid pain to deal with...

5. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

you can search " Guitar templates" on ebay as well and come up with lots of options..

Most Luthiers will make their own templates, especially if they are creating an original design. all you need is some 1/4" or 1/2" birch plywood or MDF to start.

6. Musclesturtle

Musclesturtle New Member

Hey I just got my start just like you. I got my '62 Strat template off of "guitarbuildingtemplates.com" It cost about $45, but it was really worth it. Laser cut on 1/4" MDF. I made several duplicates of the templates out of thicker ADF and plywood for the working templates, and left the masters as reference only, sort of a control. Also, I have downloaded many PDF files containing 1:1 drafts for guitars, such as an LPJ Double cut that I've been working on lately. Download some, put 'em on a USB stick, take it to a print shop and have them print them out life sized. It should only cost a couple of bucks or so. Then CAREFULLY cut out the designs from the paper and spray adhesive them on to your material for the master, such as 1/4" MDF or better yet plexiglass, or even thick sheet metal (if you have metal working tools at your disposal). After that, rough cut with a band saw, and then finish the edges with files,scrapers,knives,ect. That is what I did and got some good templates to build guitars with. Hope my input helps you. Good luck!