1975 Les Paul Cutom "The Edge"

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Delayar, May 3, 2016.

1. Delayar

Delayar Member

Thank you.
    I am waiting for the final coats of lacquer to dry, then I will start the level sanding and buffing.

Markus

Adam likes this.
  2. Delayar

Delayar Member

Hi!

So after a few weeks the guitar was ready to be rubbed out. The lacquer was wet sanded with 600, 800 and 1000 grit, and buffed with manzerna polishing compound.

[​IMG]

Then the ageing began.
    I used a bunch of keys, pliers and a rounded scraper to age the lacquer.
    The keys were used to produce smaller dings all over the guitar. I used the pliers to nock some greater dongs on the guitar, especially the edges.

It is hard to take good pictures of these dings and dongs on a creme colored guitar in artificial lighting conditions.

[​IMG]

The back was also aged with keys and pliers, but with more force. Additionally, lacquer was removed with a scraper, to mimick the beaten up backside of the original (see: http://s116.photobucket.com/user/EbonyBlock/media/a745c873.jpg.html )

here is my first step of this process:

[​IMG]

I removed some more lacquer after assembly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is still not as beaten up as the original, but I think I will leave it at that.
    The hardware was treated with 600 grit abrasive fabric and Never Dull to get a used look.

Yesterday the Manlius T-Top pickups arrived, with open gold covers and golden screws. I could finally finish the guitar.

[​IMG]

The black washers under the tailpiece studs were laser cut from 1mm Perspex. According to measurements taken from pictures, I made them 1 inch in diameter.
    The bridge is from Faber in Germany.

[​IMG]

I painted the logo on the back of the headstock with acrylic paint. As the original, the guitar has Schaller tuners (although on the original they have the Gibson-logo on them.)

[​IMG]

And here it is in all its beauty:

[​IMG]

The brocken off edge of the neck pickup frame is also on the original. The pickups still lokk a little bit out of place, due to the fact that I haven't aged them, yet. I wanted to try them out first. i will age them a little bit when I change the strings the next time.

I am satisfied how it turned out. It weighs 4.8kg (aprox. 10.5lbs), which afaik is quite common for a Norlin-era LP.

I hope I am able to make better images in better lighting conditions soon.

Cheers,
    Markus

3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Looks awesome :yesway:

4. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Nicely done. Personally, I think the relicing is unnecessary, but whatever.

5. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

If you're building an EVH Frankenstein replica, do you just paint it and call it done, or do you relic it like the real deal? I think most people choose to relic it. That's why this one is relic'd.

6. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

If someone else wants to relic a guitar (or an old car), fine - you do it. BUT, I reserve my opinion that relicing is A LIE. Made to look old, not authentic in any way. It's a lie. Maybe you don't care about lying... but I do. That's my take on it.

7. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

What a silly position to take. And to use that to crap on a thread ...

8. devrock

devrock New Member

This is unbelievable! What a beautiful job!!

9. Delayar

Delayar Member

Thank you for positive comments.

A late reply to @Chris: I understand your basic sentiment about reliced guitars. I usually don't do reliced guitars, even my Red Special replica isn't reliced.
    However, in this case, I made a replica of a specific guitar, which draws it's appeal (at least from me) from beeing aged, beginning with the yellowing of the lacquer. It just wouldn't be the same in a new pure white finish. Of course, I could have lacquered it with a yellow tint, without any further ageing. But i think that would not have looked right.
    I am no native speaker, but I feel the way you state your opinion, especially in the second post, is very rude. You should think twice before calling anyone a liar.
    You would be right If I would say the guitar is really from the 70ies, or even played by The Edge himself. That would be a lie. But saying I made this guitar to look like the one The Edge played is the truth.

Cheers,
    Markus

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  10. charliewood

charliewood New Member

Damn, good job sir.. it always makes me pucker to see someone take a beautifully crafted guitar and proceed to scratch the living shit out it… however, it is yours to do with as you please… I recently saw someone on yt take a really nice PRS and do likewise….
    When I play a guitar it gets relic'ed in no time anyway (being clumsy)… I have a 2011 Nighthawk (burst buckers quilt top) that looks like its been gigged since the 60's (I wish the binding would yellow however)
    Anyway… really nice instrument!
    cheers
    charlie

11. Delayar

Delayar Member

Finally, there are pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]