14 weeks to build a bass - I have no idea what i'm doing :D

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Jonajon91, Apr 22, 2013.

1. emoney

emoney New Member

I also wanted to mention that 14 weeks is plenty of time if you spend it focused on building the bass. I built a set-neck Telecaster in less than 12 weeks, thanks to a silly contest I got in, and I have/had little to no experience.

Jonajon91 likes this.
  2. LC100

LC100 New Member

Honestly? Scale. If you want to make this work you need a baseline reference of some sort to go by. I'd start by getting some sort of graphics program that you can operate without too much hassle. Could be CAD, InkScape, or Illustrator.

Whatever you choose they all seem to allow importing things like pdf, dxf, or svg files. This is useful because then you can create a neck template from FretFind2D for one of the most important references points in any guitar design - the neck. Once imported you can lock or even put the neck template in a separate layer and work on other aspects without disturbing it.

You'll find out in a hurry that some things in your head don't always align with reality. I can attest to dozens of great designs that weren't so great once they get drawn to scale. Perhaps in your case you could alter an existing design to get you closer to what you want if the above isn't feasible right now. I see that it has a bit of Cloud influence and there are a few sketches on the web of that one. A full size print of that could make a useful starting point for scale and shape if nothing else.

Jonajon91 likes this.
  3. Jonajon91

Jonajon91 New Member

Thanks for the heads up!
    I know that the image up there will not do as a template or anything, that was just 25 mins on pixlr. Ill look into the programs you mentioned above!

4. Jenious

Jenious Member

If you haven't already, check out Heretic's thread "Plans: how I make them." it has a lot of good stuff in it.

Jonajon91 likes this.
  5. Jonajon91

Jonajon91 New Member

Okay, we have an update with more update than questions (huzzah!)

So off the bat, a HUGE shout-out to heretic and his thread on design! I managed to download some free CAD software, follow some instructions and create a plan for what I need.

I guess I will hit you up with the specs before pictures.
    - 33” scale length
    - through neck
    - 27.5” fretboard for 31 frets
    - 1 passive bridge pickup
    - Upper arm reaches 10th / 9th fret
    - Tuned – B / Fsharp / B / E / A / D
    - With of nut - 2.165" – 0.187” thick
    - With of bridge (string spacing) – 3.5”

[​IMG]
    So here you can see my first attempt at a body shape that was ... uh ... less than brilliant. :rofl: To say I was going for a lightweight and simple shape.

I decided to sketch round a roscoe lightweight bass and came up with what can be seen here.
    [​IMG]

This is the final body shape (though it may change before hand and will definitely change when I am doing the wood-work). It is the basic roscoe shape, but with the cutaway going right down to 29th 30th fret.
    [​IMG]

The fourth picture is another failure that I though I would share. I had a go at making the final product in the third picture a bit smaller/lighter, but it just looks ... well, I don't need to explain really :io:
    [​IMG]

The last picture is the headstock that I made. Nice and simple, nice and small
    [​IMG]

---
    cont in next post
    ---

Attached Files:

6. Jonajon91

Jonajon91 New Member

The first picture hear demonstrates the cuts of wood that I will be using.
    (top wing – 19” long – 4.3” wide)
    (neck wood – 41” long – 4.3” wide)
    (Bottom wing – 14” long – 4.3” wide)
    The second picture is a bit of an extension with the woods separated (though I do question the start of the lower horn on the neck piece, could someone wiser than myself comment on this?)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The last picture is a bit of a questionmark as well. I see this cutaway thing about on quite a few modern guitars and basses, I think it looks slick and could keep the weight down, but is it worth the hassle and does it even look good.
    [​IMG]

---

That is all for now, I still need to decide on if this bass is going to be round or hard edge ( VS [ , wood choice and what kind of finish it will recieve.

Attached Files:

7. Jonajon91

Jonajon91 New Member

Ok. scratching out some of what I said up there, I changed how I will work the through neck.
    PICTURES!!!

[​IMG]
    You can see how the neck is not completely stupid now how it connects with the arms. And the wood separately looks a lot nicer as well.
    [​IMG]
    Top and bottom piece from one piece of wood (19" X 10")
    Neck *(41" X 4.5")

Coming along quite well I think :D

Attached Files:

Jenious likes this.