X Carve Machine By Invent Ambles -any Thoughts Or Opinions?

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Shayski, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Shayski

Shayski New Member

I'm relatively new to guitar building, just been doing it the last couple years since I've semi-retired and I want to get into it a little deeper. The whole CNC thing has my attention and recently I came across the X-carve which seems to be a cheaper version of a CNC that I'm sure has some limitations. I'm just not 100% sure what those limitations are and if they will affect what I would want the machine for. Like for instance, will it carve out a complete body, will it carve a top and contours like for your arm rest and all pockets etc. and is it capable of doing a complete neck? Also how's the software to deal with? I'm not real computer savvy. How difficult is it to program? I guess what I'm getting at is, what's the downside of it?

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Sorry, this is a really late response. The X-Carve has always looked a little flimsy to me. It's probably good for a hobbyist, but if you're doing more serious things, like building a guitar, and want as little backlash/vibration as possible then you want to get a better machine. I just ordered the "big" version of this one:

https://www.smw3d.com/ox-diy-cnc-kit/

My kit came to around $1400 with tax and shipping. Should be good for my first machine, I'll likely build my second machine from parts.