Working for a boutique company?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brian I, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

you sound like an excellent salesman.. personable, charming and disarming..

and you've already used about 5 of my " red flag phrases" so far.

I got screwed out of a multi-million dollar company by a guy that talked just like that. :cool:

we are talking about luthiery.. the market is much smaller for guitars than almost any other product out there.
    and the competition seems to be growing by the hour these days.
    Sure skills sets can transfer from one profession to another...
    but not "atmospheres"

2. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Go lie down .
    It wasn't me . I am too honest and I have no time for your misguided bitterness .
    One never makes oneself look better by attacking others . We look better by doing better and standing on those results . That is my personal mission in everything that I do .
    Some of you may know of me from elsewhere . This seems like a good time to mention Otterhound Guitars and Tonewoods . (717) 665-4464 is the number . I don't have a website at this time , but that will change . I can offer you quality hand built electric and acoustic guitars and tonewoods in some of the best Pennsylvania hardwoods .
    Harvested by myself , milled by my sawyer with my assistance , stacked and air dried at my location .
    Walnut , cherry , maple , mulberry , black locust , oak , sycamore and maybe something that I forgot .
    Mostly quartersawn , but some not .
    Folks , the luthery wood market is changing because of CITES and Lacey . Domestic woods are the future , like it or not .
    Yeah , I forgot to add Basswood .
    I would love to hear from you and try to help you out in your needs if I can .
    Oh yeah , you are welcome here any time and welcome to look through my inventory for that perfect piece if you can swing it .
    Even you Bruce .

3. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

I recommend caution with this one guys.

4. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Thanks Bruce .
    For those of you that are unaware , Mr Bennett has chosen to embark on a path of personal attacks towards me because he claims it to be his right to do so .
    That is his choice .
    All I ask of anyone is the opportunity to prove my professional integrity to you one at a time .
    A few pics of my inventory ;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This highly flamed maple is fresh cut and not ready yet .
    [​IMG]
    1/4 sawn Sycamore that will be ready in the spring .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hard maple and black locust ; ready now and 1/4 sawn .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More 1/4 sawn Sycamore ready now .
    [​IMG]
    Some of my resawn walnut . An acoustic back . Oops , that one failed .
    Anyway , I hope you get the idea .
    If you would like to see for yourselves , you will find my pics on photobucket under the personal profile of otterhound1 .
    I offer custom resawnig services as well .
    Thanks for looking and I hope to be hearing from some of you in the future . .
    Keep making sawdust . :wave:

5. Brian I

Brian I New Member

Well this thread has taken an odd turn :shock:

Bruce, I really appreciate what you have posted. Although the tone of your posts takes a bit of getting used to, you have offered some sobering, realistic advice and experiences. I'm not sure what this whole mess with otterhound is, but I'd like to thank you for your contributions to this thread.

bgetraer and Sully like this.
  6. otterhound

otterhound New Member

I have been pondering the same thing .
    I had considered posting a PM sent to me by Bruce , but I will not .
    Apparently , he does not like his opinions to be questioned or challenged . That is his thing and I will stay positive .
    I have encountered this before .

7. emoney

emoney New Member

See, I told you guys...every time you stray from focusing on ME, things go awry. Now, let's all take a minute, and channel our energy back to where it should be and repeat after me;

"Emoney, is not only other-worldly good looking, he is also quite the stud when it comes to building guitars"

Say that 100 times, and in every language you know, and things will return to normal.

fortwinnie likes this.
  8. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

wha? :scratch:

9. otterhound

otterhound New Member

A master luthier is not a one trick pony .
    I am patiently waiting for an answer and unless you are a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist , wha? is not an answer .
    Besides , I wasn't asking you , so you may go lie down as well .

10. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Since you quoted my post, I don't think it's a stretch to have read that as if you were addressing me. Context cues are awesome!

I may go lie down? How 'bout you go back to performing unnatural acts upon your favorite goat?

bgetraer likes this.
  11. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

OK I think this thread is getting a little out of hand...

Mate, I think you took Sully's earlier comment out of context - I don't think he was actively criticising you, your skills, or your trade, he was listing a few skills that he thinks are important to making a business out of luthiery. That's not to say those skills aren't valuable in other trades, or that you don't possess them.

Sully, also probably no reason to bring beastiality in to this... besides, what's "natural" is in the eye of the beholder.. some goats are hawt!! ;)

bgetraer and Sully like this.
  12. otterhound

otterhound New Member

First off , I was addressing Bruce Bennett and no one else .
    Second , Sully edited the context completely out of my post so he gets no quarter from me .
    Third , the goat thing is simply in baaad taste , but does reveal certain things about how HIS mind functions .
    Sully has earned the reply of go lie down . I surely could have posted worse .
    I have no doubt that Bruce can speak for himself and has .
    After all , two against one just ain't fair . Better go find some reinforcements Sully just to even it up a bit .
    Thank you for your even handed consideration SimonB15 .
    I am not fond of goats though , but I do have 3 Airedales and 2 black cats .
    Lastly , I wish Brian well and hope that he finds his way .
    I have always seen a college degree to be similar to a Saturn V rocket . It costs a whole lot of money and isn't worth it unless you use the darned thing .

13. Brian I

Brian I New Member

otterhound, while the hijack of this thread is probably expected (we are in the backstage...), your spamming and advertising of your wood is rather obnoxious and unappreciated (and probably against the rules of the forum). The luthiers whom you have insulted (Sully and Bruce) are well respected and even with my limited business knowledge, antagonizing and insulting them on a public forum is probably going to negatively influence your customer base.

Also your hitting space before commas and periods is really annoying; unrelated, but I just wanted to say that.

The Outlaw and emoney like this.
  14. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Spam indeed .
    You do have limited business experience .
    Bruce has never dealt with me , yet questions my integrity openly . He equates me with someone that he claims screwed him out of a multi million dollar business when I had nothing to do with it and know nothing of it . Claims that I have used about 5 of his "red flag phrases" . This is not friendliness . What are these mysterious phrases ? He knows nothing or , little at best , of the fence trade . I have learned a considerable amount about luthery and certainly more than Bruce will likely ever know about the fence trade . Of course , that did not prevent him from telling me how it is done in my primary trade . BS .
    This a valuable lesson Brian . He will attempt this with you and/or anyone else that he sees as a possible threat to his world . I responded because if you let people push you around , they will . The people that will respect you for voicing your opinions and standing your ground are the good ones and the rest don't matter because you will never win them over . They need not agree . Business 101 .
    While most will tout their attributes , there are those that feel that they must tear others down in order to look good . Sell your strengths not what you consider to be your competitors shortcomings . Think of the Bob Taylor oak pallet guitar and what brought it about .
    All I did was to ask a question of Sully after he added to the list of qualities . He** , I agreed with him .
    There will always be differing of opinions .
    May I suggest that there are more important things out there than being annoyed at hitting space before commas on the internet . That will not change with me . Try ignoring it . You will need thicker skin if you want to go into business for yourself .
    Oh yes Brian , you are welcome here any time as well .
    I already know the answer , but have you ever built an acoustic guitar ? :hmm:
    I hope that does not offend you .
    Sully , you may keep the goats . Maybe I did misunderstand you . Your timing was not very good .
    Bruce's PM was passive/aggressive at it's best and I don't care for that one bit . Some day , he will eat those words but I will still sell him wood as long as he agrees to my terms . Same as everyone else .
    Tomorrow is another day .

15. BWGuitars

BWGuitars New Member

Dude, chill the fuck out. You're way off track here.

Funny thing is with all your talk of properly running a business and conducting oneself with customers: I'm currently in the market for some more quarter-sawn Sycamore, but given your conduct in this thread (and others), you've definitely lost out on a potential customer today.

16. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Can we all act like reasonable adults around here. I don't want to have to start issuing infractions and closing threads.

Thank you.

bgetraer, Leo and poro78 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.