Where Do You Get Your Timber

Discussion in 'Wood' started by sosay, Sep 1, 2016.

1. sosay

sosay Member

Hello all, i have been searching the net the last two months or so trying to find a decent timber dealer, i have looked at a fair few and have my first batch of hardwoods arriving tomorrow, but i can't see myself using this crowd again,reason being,i have waited two weeks for them to get it to me, when the website tells me 24 hour delivery ,plus there only an hours drive away,what does this tell you?? yes my thoughts exactly,hint hint.
    So i would be most grateful if you might share any info on fair dealers anywhere in the world,even if there to far, still in my interest on what's out there, My main interest even being a novice guitar builder are exotic hardwoods,well cheers in advance for your help.

2. KempGuitars

KempGuitars New Member

Hello sosay,

I'm UK based, where did you order your last lot from? Have you tried Exotic Hardwoods UK Ltd, Timberline, David Dyke, Tonetech, Keystone Tonewoods? Prices vary, depending on how much prep the suppliers do, but you'll find a lot. I also watch eBay closely as the odd "good find" comes along now and again, along with regular sellers worldwide having some nice pieces.

Hope this helps :)

3. sosay

sosay Member

hay,how are ya,yeh i got my timber from a place in dublin called strahan timber,was fairly cheep,105 euro for mahogany body blanc,mahogany arm blank,walnut fret board,spalted beech top and it looks well,both arm and body are nearly finished and only ordered the bridge and tuners and ferrules to align the arm,then i will wood fill and sand to perfection and get my oil for the finish,then finally order my pickups and electrics and set it up,i have looked at a good few sites from uk now at this stage,i like exotic and timberline,i know d.dyke also,i will have a look at the others but untill i want something fairly specific like wenge or cherry,i might just use strahan again,my next build will be a thinline for my father and it might be gatting a paint finish so the body does not really matter,think he likes the maple arm so because strahan is cheep and close i will use them,then i have another tele to do for my friend and i will use strahan also,but when i get around to building/designing my own,then i will venture for exotic woods again

4. KempGuitars

KempGuitars New Member

Sounds fair enough, you got what you wanted at a fair price. Unfortunately, for many new and hobby builders, the first place they look is for is wood sold (at a premium) specifically for making musical instruments (body and neck blanks). Yes, you are pretty much guaranteed good, sound wood, but at the end of the day, you can get that same quality from your general hardwood supplier if you look through their stock. That said, it's whether or not one has the machinery to mill that wood and prep it... And you're also limited to what woods they have.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  5. sosay

sosay Member

yes this is true,i have yet to buy certain tools so i don't have to worry if my dealer sends me crappy timber,i will be investing in a thicknesser /ban saw/pull drill/oscillating sander and make a router table,i might need to extend the shed haha,only a small 6 by 10' shed,the bro is dropping around a 6' length of oak,5 by 6", so it is nearly time to start bringing in the bigger tools,ban saw/planer and pull drill are next on the list,i now have my bridge on,tuners on,strap buttons on,gona order my black corner round neck plate and jack on monday,nearly there.

6. Tonedragon

Tonedragon New Member

So Far I've only been doing this for about a year an a half. With in the last 18 months I can drive 45min -2 hrs away for the local Northeast hardwoods. And I do find the "premium" figured maple at regular board foot prices. Between gas and time spent working it down I'm still making g $$$.
    I try and only pay shipping on exotics when it's free shipping and it's a deal on the board ft.
    I do enjoy meeting and visiting with the local wood guys. They get a heads up on what I'm looking for and I also get a heads up on some seriously sweet figured/old growth tone woods. All I have to do is wait till it's dry pick the pile. The networking face to face pays off and I do make alot of friends. I think that's half the joy of our trade.

sosay likes this.
  7. soggybag

soggybag New Member

I'm in SF bay area we have a Macbeath Hardwood. It isn't cheap. Some times they have deals on scrap. I got this It's 1.5" by 14" by 32".

image_1.jpg

I got some other wood really cheap at the recycling center. Not sure what kind of wood this is could be redwood? These were $25!

IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0070.jpg

I got two very nicely joined and finished body blanks on eBay but they were like $60 + shipping.

Wylon likes this.
  8. Wylon

Wylon New Member

Are you sure the cheap wood at recycling is good enough? I am afraid if the wood was dried too much or was exposed to too much humidity before it was dried. It could create microfractures.
    You can read here that irreversible damage occurs when the wood is too dry http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/OverDrying_and_Wood_Quality.html

9. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

Atlanta Hardwoods, Peachstate Lumber, eBay, Bell Forrest products, Gilmer wood company, and Big Island Woods (for koa) are a few I use.

I buy only kiln dried materials from these places. then I sticker stack and air dry it AT LEAST another 5-10 years in my shop environment. I don't like using "freshly kiln dried materials" but I will in a pinch.
    also, I have a very small stash of 30+ year air dried woods for that "serious" customer.

choosing your material is just as much an art as learning how to do binding properly. not all woods SHOULD become a guitar.

Wood IS grain.. learn how to read the grain and you will know what a piece can and can not do in terms of making a good instrument.