Where Can I Get Help With An Old Tube Amp?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by RuthMcNabb22, Jul 23, 2018.

  1. RuthMcNabb22

    RuthMcNabb22 New Member

    Jul 22, 2018
    Likes Received:
    Hi all,

    I was wondering if anyone could tell me of an appropriate forum to try and get some basic help diagnosing an old valve amp i bought.

    I suspect it may need new valves or a transformer. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty with a multi meter but i'd need step by step help on what to test.

    Basically when i turned it on with nothing plugged in it started to crackle loads and changing the volume knobs effected the crackle like a very dirty pot would but didn't seem to impact the volume of the crackle. I plugged a guitar in and with a little twiddling the noise settled, it was working with a really rather nice crunchy tone for all of about 20s then the volume slowly faded away to nothing and it wont make a sound.

    Is this typical behaviour of a certain failed component?

    The amp is a fairly unknown one from the late 50s/early 60s. A dallas scala.

    valves are i beleive 1 x EZ81 rectifier, 1 x ECC83 and 1 x EL84.
    Only one of these is uncovered the EL84 i assume but i can see it is lighting up.

    There is now nothing coming out of the speaker not even hiss.
  2. GuitarBuilder

    GuitarBuilder Member

    May 16, 2013
    Likes Received:
    If you have not worked on tube amps before I STRONGLY suggest you take it to a service tech. Tube amps generate lethal voltages and could kill you in an instant, i.e. one mistake is all you get.

Share This Page