Where Can I Get Help With An Old Tube Amp?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by RuthMcNabb22, Jul 23, 2018.

1. RuthMcNabb22

RuthMcNabb22 New Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me of an appropriate forum to try and get some basic help diagnosing an old valve amp i bought.

I suspect it may need new valves or a transformer. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty with a multi meter but i'd need step by step help on what to test.

Basically when i turned it on with nothing plugged in it started to crackle loads and changing the volume knobs effected the crackle like a very dirty pot would but didn't seem to impact the volume of the crackle. I plugged a guitar in and with a little twiddling the noise settled, it was working with a really rather nice crunchy tone for all of about 20s then the volume slowly faded away to nothing and it wont make a sound.

Is this typical behaviour of a certain failed component?

The amp is a fairly unknown one from the late 50s/early 60s. A dallas scala.

valves are i beleive 1 x EZ81 rectifier, 1 x ECC83 and 1 x EL84.
    Only one of these is uncovered the EL84 i assume but i can see it is lighting up.

There is now nothing coming out of the speaker not even hiss.

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

If you have not worked on tube amps before I STRONGLY suggest you take it to a service tech. Tube amps generate lethal voltages and could kill you in an instant, i.e. one mistake is all you get.