What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Clsatt, Apr 19, 2013.

1. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

have them resessed into the HS

2. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Far too much hassle . I'm not stopping you .
    Try thinking creatively and outside of the box .
    What do have against using bone or other materials ? Why must you be locked into certain thought patterns ?
    I considered using some type of string tree long ago and decided that this was a better way .
    My system can easily be repaired and replaced anywhere in the world with a saw and some sandpaper . Heck , you don't even really require sandpaper . Numerous and varied materials can be used to do so . There are no screws to break or threads to strip and you need not carry spares or wait for the replacement part to be delivered .
    The acoustic guitar crowd shouldn't find this offensive as they almost certainly would a metal string tree .

3. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

How does it sound? Tuning stability?

I'm gonna need a SG Body soon..
    As soon as I finish up my other projects & they only come when I get time..
    I can hear the neighbor kids playing in their pool, right behind my garage, Gotta go see..
    The old man who listens to Rock-N-Roll

4. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

On my digital workbench is a flash configurator for my guitar models :)

5. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Sounds and plays just like you would want . The only place that could sound differently would be open strings because of the zero fret . I will be building with a typical nut later on .
    Tuning stability is great . I do want to build one with a trem as a test mule .
    One thing that I have found is that there appears to be no need to tune down and then bring the string back up to tune like with a conventional setup . An unanticipated plus . I am guessing that the angle produced between the tuner shaft and the saddle has an effect on this .
    I am pursuing the full patent . It is only patent pending right now .

6. cloudy

cloudy New Member

Just started to get into luthiery/tech work earlier this year, and I gotta say I'm absolutely in love with it. Moving to a full shop w/ a spray booth come end of the month (hopefully).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any recommendations for pickguards? I'm digging the tortex but I like the idea of maybe doing a rosewood pickguard or keeping it classic black? Keep in mind theres going to be a chrome covered humbucker in the neck :p

7. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard New Member

tort. always tort.

8. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

I get the feeling you're going to be offended no matter how much I sugar coat it, so I'm just going to come out and say it. I don't see the point in getting it patented. I don't see it solving any problem, and to be brutally honest, it just doesn't look good. It looks "cobbled together". It's certainly not an elegant solution, and just gives the strings another place to hang up on. This is entirely my opinion of course, but since you posted it on an internet forum, I figure opinions are welcome.

TKOjams likes this.
  9. GreaseBox

GreaseBox New Member

1969 SG Special restoration...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tnt423

tnt423 Member

Just a new Tribute model for a discerning customer.
    [​IMG]
    The back
    [​IMG]
    Working on getting a real camera, cell phone pics suk!

11. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

Having nowhere to spray was holding up my projects from finish, and I'd been procrastinating on it for months. Finally threw something together recently:
    [​IMG]

Will whack a little extraction fan in the back. I only spray water based finishes, so don't need an industrial setup. The light in the booth is really handy, too.

Now I've run out of excuses to finish sanding my builds.

12. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

I like your spray booth Simon!!

I made a Truss Rod Cover for my sons Parker Dragon Fly & made a pic from the rosewood scrap.. Damn pic looks better than the cover :scratch:
    His Birthday is Saturday He'll be 24..
    [​IMG]

Blackegg likes this.
  13. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

I found another excuse for delaying finish sanding.......

[​IMG]

14. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

15. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

What's that jkes?

16. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Just a "little" something I am working, my take on the LPDC shape. If everything works out hopefully there will be full sized versions in the near future. The off cuts are sitting on the top that will eventually be glued on.

17. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard New Member

SimonB15 likes this.
  18. JSH

JSH New Member

*Mods, Please delete this post...*

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  19. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard New Member

I've been testing out different brands of pots recently.. currently trying out these bourns ones. I really like how solid the housing is, and how neat/clean they are in the cavity, and that they will likely last forever.. but the feel of the knob rotation is almost too loose. I personally like the smoother feel of the mini alphas.. but those are obviously lower quality.

What do you guys find more important, the perceived quality and longevity of the pots, or how it feels to turn the knob? How do you prefer them to feel? what pots do you prefer in general?

I'm actually not a fan of CTS.. havn't tried emerson yet.. Small form factor is a plus.
    [​IMG]

here's the new jig I got from Adam, it's quite impressive, and makes doing fan frets super fast. (I cover the full use in my documentary)
    I just wish the plexi templates were made a bit better, but for the price, I can highly recommend this system. I'm just going to get my laser guy to cut some better templates for me.
    [​IMG]
    The 7 string empress with piezo is pretty much done, just going to try and do the bridge anodizing myself, so that's slowed me down a bit.
    [​IMG]
    Finished this all black (all wenge) empress.. it's been sitting waiting to be assembled for a year now, just got around to it this week. so.. its a brand new 2014 empress? did i jsut do my first NOS item? It'll be up for sale once i get photography done on it.
    [​IMG]

also finished up a random blue tyrant I started last year. and by finished, i mean it's at Jame's house being wired up now. It's seriously the lowest action I have ever seen.. it's almost TOO low feeling (no buzz though)
    I'll probably raise it after guitar day this weekend, but i'll leave it that low for now to kinda show off. First time i've done a zero-fret too, they are cool but i need more time with it before I decide.
    [​IMG]

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  20. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

Very nice. Do you make your bridge plates yourself for your fanned frets?