Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Clsatt, Apr 19, 2013.
LOOK HOW HAPPY THEY ARE!
These two.. A Gibson that's had a previous headstock repair, Getting Frets Polished & a Jackson DK2 Project..
Love the quilt.
Hot damn! This build finally got really fun.
Is that a jar of Mothers on your bench? you polishing frets with it?
I used Nevr-Dull magic wadding on these frets = Blue Can, Mothers can be used also with either a Dremel or by hand with an old sock. Both are great products..
Got into trouble on the Gibby as the headstocks glue joint needed to be sanded out as it was ugly & the dowels that were used by the previous owner needed to be flush..
Now I gotta fill by the dowels & work @ getting this thing grain filled & sprayed..
I haven't tried linking photos from G+ before, so let me know if they don't work.
Semi hollow LP style build. Gluing technique borrowed from here (maybe from Renk??). Cleaned up the squeeze out after the photo was taken.
Fretboard inlay done. This was before filling the gaps with epoxy/rosewood dust. First time I've done it, and pretty pleased with the result.
Jay uses that top clamp method as well. Works pretty good!
Yeah I'm pleased with how it turned out!
Finally Finished my First Guitar. The results:
Good job. Looks really clean.
It sure beats wondering if that F clamp is going to hold enough pressure when you torque down a C clamp next to it. The plywood press method just makes so much more sense to me when I'm dealing with a hodge podge collection of random clamps, and not enough of one specific type of clamp.
Agreed. I only have about half a dozen clamps, and I'd been concerned about getting even pressure, until I saw this method. My only concern was that it took a while to get all of the bolts through the top piece of ply, get the washers and nuts on, and get it all nice and tight. Several minutes, in fact. I'm sure it would be faster if I had a proper ratchet instead of just open ended spanners, but if there are any other tips for fast set up I'd be grateful to hear them.
I've seen a few guys put clamps around the perimeter and a weight or dumbbell in the center lol, if you're not happy with that method you can use some wood -lets say 2 wide x 3 high x whatever length you need to span body width, with a little bow sanded evenly into bottom so when the sides are clamped down tight you know that the center is getting a hell of a lot of pressure. 3in high is for the pressure, does that make sense. Lot of ways to skin a cat as they say.
Finally off the bench. Been in the process since October. Now I am here. She plays wonderfully.
I am still in shock that I was able to build this. I am by no means a woodworker. I guess I just like building things though, and when there is a will there is a way. Both of my grandfathers are very impressed, and they used to do a lot of woodworking in their younger days.
piman looks really good!! Love the shape and the fact that it is a semi-hollow body. Looks great!
Thank you! I really wouldn't consider it semi-hollow. The cavity is purely for looks and to shed a little bit off of the 12.5 pounds. But thanks anyway. My entire English class was amazed today when I presented it. They couldn't believe that I built it. Oh what people hardly know about me. Haha!
some lovely grain matched step-downs. ( 6 more of these not pictured =P )
Separate names with a comma.