What Type Of Wood Does This Guitar Has?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by seckin, May 25, 2018.

1. seckin

seckin New Member

Hello all,

I am not a luthier I hope I am not bugging you but I need to identify the wood of this T type guitar. It sounds like a tele but slightly different. I really love it's sound and I want to buy a similar guitar so when I am buying online I can be sure that I am buying the right wood type. The front looks like a flamed maple and the back is mahagony but it doesn't sound like a Les Paul at all. Here are the photos, I hope you can help me:

https://ibb.co/mNFQ5o
    https://ibb.co/hhAsko

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand New Member

Seems right to me. But there are a bunch of differences between that and a LP, making a far bigger impact on tone than wood type (if you even believe in tonewood, I do not).

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

If you don't believe in tonewood, why are you even here?

4. PermissionToLand

What kind of question is that? "Tonewood" is the only reason to give a shit about guitars, period? We're not talking about an acoustic guitar, btw.

5. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

No kidding. I've been reading and writing English longer than you've been alive, and I could hear the sounds the OP posted.

Electric guitars are acoustic guitars first. Don't believe it? Mic up a Les Paul and a Tele.... play them unplugged and record their sounds. The LP is dark and fat. The Tele is bright and sharp.

6. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Hi there -

That is mahogany with a curly maple top for sure, no questions asked. Pic is a bit too dark/blurry to make out what the thru-neck is.

With regards to this however:

"The front looks like a flamed maple and the back is mahagony but it doesn't sound like a Les Paul at all."

And this:

"I really love it's sound and I want to buy a similar guitar so when I am buying online I can be sure that I am buying the right wood type."

That it doesn't sound like a Les Paul is no surprise because that's clearly not a Les Paul. The unique sound profile of a telecaster vs. other guitars like a Les Paul or a Stratocaster is due primarily to the pickups, NOT the tonewood. If you buy a guitar online without having ever played it based only on the type of wood (rather than the right pickups and wiring) I can guarantee you will be disappointed when it does not sound like the guitar pictured above.

Go to a shop and test out some guitars before buying so you know what kind of sound you are getting.

EDIT: Here's a good video for you :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. PermissionToLand

LOL, you don't know anything about me, kid. Anyone who claims "I'm way older than you" on the internet is most likely a tween.

Are you an acoustical engineer? Because if not, it doesn't matter how long you've been building guitars or [writing English?], you have no expertise on this subject.

Electric guitars are NOT "acoustic guitars first", what a laughably ignorant claim. Solidbody electric guitars work wholly different from acoustics. Acoustics project the soundwaves from the body, AKA compression waves that you can audibly hear. Electrics just have magnetic pickups that pick up their sound from the magnetic waves created by the transverse waves of the movement of the strings themselves. Pickups do not pick up compression waves because they are not microphones. Now, the waves that reverberate through the bridge are mostly reflected back (because a metal bridge is very dense), and the ones that continue into the body are mostly absorbed (because wood is relatively soft, even Maple cannot compare to a metal bridge). Any supposed tonal effects created by the wood would have to be vibrations that left the strings, went through the bridge, into the wood, back through the bridge and back into the strings, by which point they are statistically insignificant and drowned out by the continued ringing of the strings. And yet even that is not true because a wave traveling through a different medium only changes the wavelength, not the frequency of the wave. Therefore, the sound will be no different having traveled through the body and back. The only thing those different materials changed was the energy (amplitude) of the wave. In layman's terms, that is decay or sustain. Wood does affect this on a solidbody electric, although not to a major degree.

Simply comparing a LP and a Tele is massively ignorant of the myriad other differences between the two guitars. Besides obviously the pickups, one huge one is the design of the bridge, another is the scale length.

https://dylantalkstone.com/blogs/dy...-guitar-compression-vs-transverse-sound-waves

Now, are you done embarrassing yourself with such hubris?

8. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Bullshit like you spew is why I seldom visit this forum

vvince and Michael_P like this.
  9. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

@PermissionToLand - I'm surprised to see such a response on a luthier forum. Have you built any guitars at all? If so, you would likely not post such comments. Or perhaps this is a troll to ignite yet another "wood does not affect tone" argument? If it's the latter please find another forum to do so.

vvince and Michael_P like this.
  10. PermissionToLand

Jeez, somebody is easily triggered. If you can't handle your views being challenged whatsoever without getting huffy and taking your ball home, how do you even operate in the real world? Since you cannot seem to form a counter argument, I'll accept your concession. No need to be sore about it.

You shouldn't be surprised, but unfortunately a lot of people think being an expert in one field makes their opinions valid in other fields, just look at neurosurgeon Ben Carson's hubris despite his utter obliviousness in politics. I guess the Dunning-Kruger Effect is just as true with professionals as it is with the general public. Building guitars does not make you an expert on acoustics just like being a construction worker does not make you an engineering expert.

What I am stating are just basic facts of how soundwaves and magnetic pickups work. Yes, I have built guitars (although it's irrelevant) and my brother is actually an acoustical engineer (actually relevant) and can corroborate all of this.

I am speaking specifically about solid body electric guitars, in case you do not have great reading comprehension. All I've done is make a calm, logical argument. If you have any counter points I will be glad to discuss them. But if you are going to hand wave and make juvenile insults, please find another forum on which to do so.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  11. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

well looksy here...a relative n00b to the forum trying to be the alpha over others who have been here much longer...typical trollish junk

I don't give a flip about you or your supposed family's qualifications...is it blissful??? they say ignorance is bliss, so I'm just wondering how it is with you...

read this: http://guitarworks.thestrandbergs.com/2014/12/28/the-impact-of-wood-choice-in-an-electric-guitar/

I trust his analysis, certainly not yours.

story: got a Jackson RR Custom in '84...turns out the bridge was in the wrong place (wouldn't intonate) and I was a purist and balked at Mike Shannon plugging the hole, repainting, and moving the bridge, so I made them make a new one...funny, they sounded totally different...the original would sing on a note like it had a sustainiac in it...the replacement has NEVER done that...facts: all hardware was pulled from the first and put on the second...so what was different? the woods of course (same species, different pieces...duh)...maybe you'd care to argue it was the shark fin inlays that are the culprit?

either way, it's obvious to me that woods do make a difference..surely, pickups and such define the majority of it all, but different pieces of wood are without a doubt a factor...END OF DISCUSSION.

me? been working with wood for the last 32 years, day in and day out.

to paraphrase Harry Callahan: dry up and blow away like the POS you are

and really, you are the one who needs to find another forum

12. PermissionToLand

LOL, playing the seniority card? How long I've been on this forum has no bearing on the validity of my opinion. What a weak attempt at a dismissal.

If you don't care about expert qualifications, your opinion is obviously worthless. Facts and evidence matter. Maybe you'd feel more at home in a Trump supporter forum with that attitude...

Your link makes absolutely no empirical argument. It is pure marketing by a salesman that you are apparently unable to see through. And even then, his own video shows that not only do they sound identical, their waveforms are even incredibly similar, within the range even the same exact guitar would produce between two different strums. Literally all he does is explain this away by claiming the pickup is masking the differences. And even if that were true, it would still return us to the conclusion that wood does not matter.

As for your little story, I stated pretty clearly that I was only talking about tone, not sustain. Maybe work on that reading comprehension. It seems like your apoplectic rage at a differing opinion inhibited your reading skills. You are also ignoring the placebo effect. Your little anecdote does not change the cold hard physics involved. It's just science. You can't argue with the laws of physics.

You have not directly countered a single one of the many calmly explained arguments I've made, so you've resorted to childish insults. Come back when you can behave like an adult and form any kind of counterpoint whatsoever.

Until then, all of my points still stand.

13. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

So far he's doing the Troll job splendidly - juvenile insults? Bold sentences? You're funny! I suggest again for you to find another forum to pick on people.

14. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

His behavior is classic - trying to be the alpha like you mention. What could a bunch of luthiers possibly know about tonewoods and acoustics? LOL!!! Bringing up the electric guitar wood argument always creates some action, which is exactly what he's after. Perhaps he's from Vermont, where apparently the highest density of forum nastiness originates from according to a recent study.

15. PermissionToLand

... still waiting for either one of you to respond to a single argument. YOU ARE THE TROLLS. You are literally trying to bully me into shutting up by calling me a troll and making juvenile insults. I have given you nothing but factual arguments and you have given me nothing but insults. The record is there for all to see, so please continue making fools of yourselves.

16. kohl

kohl New Member

Ok guys either I have paint thinners or sand in this bucket so here goes

Michael_P I do not believe that PermissionToLand is saying that wood does not have any role to play in electric guitar building and you have actually made a point that I found interesting that when your Jackson RR was rebuilt using exactly the same hardware and timber species yet somehow it sounded different. In some ways this raises interesting questions as to why the guitars did not have the same sound if the species was the same.

Personally I think that quality and selection of timber and perhaps a little bit of luck somehow plays a far bigger role in electric guitar building than what some people attribute purely to the difference in species used.

Furthermore to paraphrase Ernie Ball CEO Spencer Ball the difference between a good guitar and a great guitar is 100 small differences. To me quality of material and attention to detail is something that should be considered and thought of to a higher degree rather than stressing out over what differences (small, large, nonexistant, real, perceived, placebo factual whatever side of the fence you are on) between different species create which desirable characteristics in an electric guitar

To be clear.

I am a shit guitar player
    I am yet to completely scratch build a guitar
    I can repair them though
    Next year I will be beginning a 3 year Luthier course so in 4 years my views may change

GuitarBuilder likes this.
  17. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Great idea! Are you attending Roberto-Venn? I'm looking forward to your views after doing so!

kohl likes this.
  18. kohl

kohl New Member

No am undertaking a trade school program in Europe

I really feel that wood species choice is much more important in acoustics than electrics. A view which changed as guitars always sounded really different when I swapped pups.

19. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

kohl: what I find informative is that if a guitar made of the same species of woods sounds different with all of the same exact hardware used then obviously woods make a difference...rather blatantly obvious IMO.

I've dealt with an uncounted amount of woods in the last 35 years and can tell you definitively that among the same species there are wide swings of characteristics that go far beyond just what a specific piece looks like. let's talk about plain ol' poplar (the wings on that era of RR's)...skip the fact that some pieces are white, some are green, some are pretty close to purple with black streaks...skip all of that...some pieces are very heavy and some very light, some cut easily and others not, some are nice and workable (sanding, routing, etc.) some just go bonkers and furr up rather like a junky piece of Khaya (African Mahogany)...

having dealt with the RR predicament ages ago and now having worked with woods for over 3 decades it is quite apparent that woods do make a difference...

the troll above seems to want to differentiate between tone and sustain...WTF????

just to feed him I'll state that the tone of the replacement is glassier whereas the tone of the original was drier...best words I can use to try and describe it.

yes, pickups make a big part of the sound, but the woods do make a difference...

20. kohl

kohl New Member

Also I just noticed that you only mention wood making a difference not species of wood? Woods do make a difference of that I certainly agree with you 110% but personally I feel that the quality of the timber used contributes more to a guitar than which species especially when using pickups that would override naturally occurring qualities when amplified.

Where you say that there are wild swings within a species of wood are you discussing only the workability and appearance or the sound produced at the end of the day? That inconsistency within a species would to many people support an argument that species plays less of a role than quality and selection.

I love hearing opinions other than my own so I can develop myself and when I engage in discussions in a polite and enquiring way to stretch my understanding further my knowledge and develop I certainly hope that I do not come across as a troll.

To expand on my previous statement I view the difference as this. Tone can be thought of as temperature and sustain can be thought of as time and in guitars they are entwined which probably causes a lot of the debate. Put another way a long warm day sounds nicer than a long frigid night to a lot of people.