What to do with more dang guitars!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Guittech, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Guittech

Guittech New Member

Ok, serious question.

I am a tech (thus the name) and a guitar nut, so I already have WAY TOO MANY guitars. I am wanting to start building this year (i have a goal to have 2 juniors made for next summer) And figure the first few guitars might be a bit rough.

Currently i have NO interest in building to sell. thus

WHAT TO DO WITH MORE GUITARS!?!?!

lol

I am not wanting to build a second "guitar-senal" but i already have my main rig (2 LP's, a Larivee acoustic a 5-string bass and a hollow PRS) a SECOND VERSION of the exact same rig that lives at my drummer's place (2 LPs' a Taylor acoustic, a warwick bass and a hollow 339) since i am too lazy to carry guitars between one place and the other... in addition to that i have a collection of "leftover guitars" from my past gear collecting... including a few bolt ons, a PRS import or 2...

ALSO, I have a habit of collecting scrap parts and building guitars out of THAT TOO!!!!! those i tend to give away to anyone who wants one... though i guess i'll now be keeping more parts than i used to!!! (last week I gave away about 20 cheap humbucking pickups, that I JUST REALIZED would be good to teach myself re-winding)

So what do you guys do?!?!

I figure as my skills increase, I'll start replacing guitars in my rig with home-built versions but at some point in the future I'll either have to stop building, or start selling.

Had the same issue building Tube amps. I loved doing it, but at one time my home office was starting to look like the old cover of Aspen Pittman's "Tube Amp Book" i had 7 or 8 amps done and more started... I am thankfully down to 3 tube amps now, and only 1 small combo lives at home...

Oh, and did i mention i am currently living in a CONDO?!?!?! hahahahahahah
    So, what are the rest of you doing with your "gear overage"

:D

2. emoney

emoney New Member

What I've done is the ones I've built that I've loved the most actually get the electronics. The others, not so much.

skeels likes this.
  3. larryguitar

larryguitar Member

When I get one done, I play it for a while, then find a friend that needs a guitar and gift it to them. Keeps my conscience clear in terms of taking money for something I've made that is well below professional standard, lets the guitar (they play nice, usually, and usually sound good-it's cosmetics I'm still working on) get used, and clears space.

Larry

skeels, Brock and Guittech like this.
  4. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

So far, I've given away 2 les pauls and 1 sg. But mostly I've taken to hanging them on the wall in the living room. My wife doesn't mind too much (though she wishes I'd sell some..) so some are there. I don't play electric (though I love to practice with one - i play mostly bluegrass), but I love to lay on my sofa and look at them. A couple of them took 18 months to build and I still see things I want to change. Its actually cool to make changes on them, and as I do more I see things I could/should have done better on earlier ones.

I've never had such an all-consuming hobby before - its kinda too bad I didn't get into miniatures of some kind.