What The Heck Wood Did I Use For My Guitar Body?

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Dave Locher, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

I thought I hated mahogany, but I just did some routing and sanding on a '77 Gibson mahogany body and it did not seem at all like the wood I built my guitar out of, which leads me to ask: what the heck DID I use?

My brother-in-law builds furniture and wood boats as a serious hobby and helped me quite a bit with the woodwork on my first scratch-build. He even gave me some very old "mahogany" to use for the body. But now I don't think it was mahogany.

It did have a reddish tint and open grain, but it is softer and lighter than my Gibson's wood AND it was torture to sand. The dust irritated the heck out of my throat and eyes and smelled bad.
    I know that's not much to go by, but can anyone tell me what I actually used? It does not sound the way I expected and I suspect this wood is the reason why.
    It was taken from the interior of a building that was 80-120 years old, if that helps at all.

2. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

You probably used luaun...... which is usually sold as Phillippine Mahogany. Many Asian guitars were built with this stuff decades ago, and it didn't sound good then. Not many guitars are built with it now, thank goodness.

3. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

Does it, by any chance, tend to sound a bit thin and lack sustain?

If I were to cut out a channel the width of the neck and an inch deep in the back and glue in some walnut, maple, or real mahogany running from the neck pocket to the tail might that improve the tone? Or should I just call it a lesson learned and build a new body?

4. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

^^^^ THIS. ^^^^