What pup's do you use on a sweet custom build

Discussion in 'Hardware, Electronics & Parts' started by Luthier-Atlanta, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta New Member

I am getting and gathering info on pick up's and am just wondering what you use in your builds.

2. Luthier-Atlanta

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,, No one uses pick up's in there build????????????????

3. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Go with whatever you want. 'Custom' build says it all ... YOU can equip your guitar with crap in order to save money or throw in top of the line custom pickups (or even make your own).

In my opinion a self/hand made guitar deserves fine pickups.

I wen't with DiMarzio (!), Schaller and Rockinger so far ...

4. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

Something I often toy with is getting the right combination of build & pickups. For example, I'm working on a new Archtop model with an 18" body. I really wanted to match the big body sound with a snappy, gritty tone. So, I found some ceramic Filtertrons(Cheap ones that came in a lot of the Gretsch guitars a few years ago). The TV Jones Classics are a beautiful sounding filtertron, a little too pretty for what I was after tonally. It turns out that these cheapos were just what I was after. So, it's really not always a matter of buying the best sounding pickup you can find. Many times it is. Just really comes down to what you are building & the sound you are after.

5. Luthier-Atlanta

6. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

I'm actually planning on using Lace Alumitone Bass Bars in my bass build. Judging by the video on their website, I think I'll like the sound. You never know 'til they're installed though!

7. Luthier-Atlanta

Oh so true........

8. otterhound

otterhound New Member

I have never gotten a bad set of pups from Chris Klein or Bill Lawrence .
    Bill recently passed , but his pickups live on .

tone57 and Luthier-Atlanta like this.
  9. Luthier-Atlanta

I had continplated some Bill Lawrence pup's, however I decided on Lace.

10. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Haven't built basses, but for humbuckers, I generally stick with Duncan Customs in the bridge and a 59 or Jazz in the neck. Have recently tried a set of Habanero pickups (made by Grover Jackson's new company, GJ2) and like them. Will also more than likely get to winding some of my own for kicks.

Sully

11. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I mostly do basses. I like EMG and Bartolini. I don't like Duncan or DiMarzio bass pups. I have no use for anything that claims to be vintage, or vintage re-issue. I prefer a brighter, more modern bass tone. I strongly dislike the P bass and it's signature fart-cannon sound.

I haven't tried Nordstrand or Delano, both of which are brands that a lot of bassists rave about.

12. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

for basses i like bartolini, or EMG as they both will give you an amazing sound.

guitars im way more selective. I've had good luck with almost everything. Luckily most of the guitars i play are using woods i use to build so i can roughly estimate how its gonna sound.

As far as lace pups go i've only had great luck with the chrome domes. By far the best clean pickups i've ever heard. distorted sounded good too. the alumationes and deathbuckers were also amazing clean, but distortion never appealed to me. Always had this tube like sound i never liked.

Bareknuckle are currently my favorite pickups for guitars. and i have all different kinds. I really enjoy the way they are voiced comepared to other companies. Second in line is seymour duncan for the Custom pickup (SH5) and the Pearly Gates. I had them make my a custom hybrid with the Pearly Gates and Custom and its in my les paul. Sounds awesome. They also made me a seven string version for super cheap as well.

13. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

IMO for guitar, nothing beats a good old Duncan SH4 in the bridge and an SH2 in the neck.

I've really wanted to try those Bareknuckle pickups. What model would you recommend from them for some snarl, Purelojik?

14. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

well i get some lovely snarl from my Ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge of my RGA121 prestige. its mahogany back and thick maple cap and a maple neck. Its one of my favorite all rounders. for more of a mid spikey snarl The aftermath, and for a thick and huge sound go for the blackhawk. the one i'd recommend to anyone off the bat is the Nailbomb.

Get it with a ceramic magnet if you like crisp distortion and dont play too many cleans. Ask for an alnico 5 if you want articulate and thicker distortion and warmer cleans.

I just dropped a Supermassive P90s in that redwood semi hollow i built and it can do anything. With a lower output Nantucket 90 in the neck, its one of the most versatile guitars i have.

Here's that snarl i was talking about with the nailbomb

Here's the Ceramic Nailbomb 2

here's the supermassive

here's the Nantucket clean

Here's the Blackhawk

Here's the Aftermath 1

Here's the Aftermath 2

Aftermath 3

Let me know what you think!

15. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

Killer. I'm digging those tones. I just noticed that Bareknuckle also has sound bits on the site. Those definitely sound like something I can work with. The price-point is a bit steep, when one 'bucker costs as much as the Duncan Hotrodded set. Eventually curiosity will get the better of me though.

16. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I would like BKP a lot more if they gave more than passing attention to bass pickups. A P and a J? That's it? Super lame.

17. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

order through Theaxepalace.com they're in the states and nick's a really good source of info on pickups and woods and stuff.

and Heretic i agree with the bass pickup selection. I guess i'll just give my business to Bartolini EMG and nordstrand

18. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

I've used SOOOO many brands and models of pickups over the years. and I've even wound my own.
    so, I can say without much reservation that no two "sets" sound exactly the same.
    and that even the same "set" doesn't sound "the same" when installed in different guitars.

So, IMHO getting something "in the Ballpark" is about the best you can do.
    "sound consistency" in pickups seems to be a bit of a dragon hunt. or it may be the lack of consistency in the woods... its hard to tell the difference. either way if you build two "identical" guitars with the same pickups. you still will tend to have one that "sounds better" than the other.

but for a "consistent quality" on certain models, I like Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Kinman, Van Zant, EMG, Wolftone, and a few others that have come and gone now.

I have found "certain models" within a company, that seem to give me what I like to hear in certain models of my guitars, So I tend to stick with that.

it really is trial and error.

Purelojik likes this.
  19. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp New Member

I am fast becoming a BareKnuckle fan of note.

Being away from the US and UK, shipping prices drive up the cost of everything from Seymour Duncan through Bartolini.. so Bareknuckle pups for me are relatively in line with the cost of most other pups.

So far I have 6 different BK models and they are all great! So for now, I stick BK in everything

*edit
    What I like about the BK is the options to customize to your liking. The support is great and the guys are very helpful with giving ideas about what magnet and model may work well with different wood combo's and the type of sound one is after.
    Everyone so far has been great.

20. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

That set of Lollar P90s I put in my single cut are the pickups of the gods. They do everything, even extreme metal, extremely well. I think I'm a P90 kind of guy now.

JSH and Renkenstein like this.