What makes you different?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blue Belly Guitars, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

I often see luthiers who do great work, but don't seemingly have anything really new to offer. Then there are a great number of us who have a unique style & a vision. I started building guitars because I wasn't happy with what I could buy. I had the idea of taking old ideas that I like & experimenting with them. I "kind of" see my style a being similar to guys in the 50's & 60's, building race cars. I feel like there is so much to improve apon & experiment with & that's what I really enjoy about building.
    So what is your Vision/Style? What makes your creative mind tick?

2. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

3. Blue Belly Guitars

You say a couple things the are interesting. Cosmetic flaws. It's pretty common that most who buy high end, hand made instruments are pretty picky. However, I know of a couple builders who sell a lot of guitars who are able to make a living on the art & playability of their instruments. Which leads to the second, Artistic. I think some of the neatest creations are artistic. Creating something new is always more exciting to me than seeing another flamed maple LP clone. Not that I don't like the LP's, just that the thinking mind can create pretty amazing things when they step outside of the box & really try. I always like to see what others come up with.

Purelojik likes this.
  4. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

I have nothing really groundbreaking to put foward, I'm just tryin' to get my chops down to where "I" think what I've built is my best work.

Murkar likes this.
  5. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not blazing any new ground and don't really know what sets my stuff apart at this point, but I have noticed that I focus a fair amount of thought and attention on contours, ergonomics (without going overboard), and trying to create some visual movement. I also tend to shy away from things that look too traditional, too locked in to a particular manufacturer that it doesn't have its own identity, and I definitely try to keep to the idea of having one focal point. In other words, don't go apeshit with the bling.

Sully

Heretic and Murkar like this.
  6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Well, as far as I can tell (and I could be mistaken), I'm the first to combine an off-center neck carve with an off-center truss rod. My truss rod follows the thickest part of the neck, and my off-center carve is rather extreme. Jackson started doing it about 3yrs after I did for some custom shop stuff, but it never caught on. I also have a method for doing a thick carved top but still dropping it for a forearm contour, something that I've never seen anyone else do (and I've looked pretty far and wide). Otherwise I'm fairly standard.

7. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

My only speciality is the lack of power tools, but Barnaby's done that already.
    Bugger.

Hmm... I'm lefty and I don't use power tools? :D

Murkar likes this.
  8. evolved_insanity

evolved_insanity Active Member

My momma says I'm just different!!!:hmm:

I really try to stay away from tradition enough that it will stand out but still stay close enough that people recognize them as guitars. If it is different, I will try it. Next up, a denim guitar.

9. Blue Belly Guitars

I'd love to see that neck! Feel it too! Sounds interesting!

10. Blue Belly Guitars

Maybe I'm splitting hairs with the subject. I think a lot of us here are pretty unique. I always dig Sully's stuff, as an example. It's not exactly my vision, but has a great style & is pretty unique to him. Maybe the things I see as cutting edge are slight tweaks & interpretations. I feel at the current date , this is what we are left with, for the most part. It's not like in the car world when everything suddenly changed with EFI, Antilock brakes & tire technologies. From a technology perspective we're pretty close to maxed out. Many of the high tech materials & digital capabilities that have been developed have yet to prove any improvement in tone, over our old favorite... dried trees. What we do have is an open canvas, save for a basic format. Fads come & go. Some take things a little too far into obscurity. But, I think we have a lot of room in Design, personal flare & innovative ideas. As an exampe, one of my favorite archtops has led me to transfer some of it's features into a new solid body design. It's not exactly the first time a "guitar" has been built this way, but it is for a different player, with some slight tweaks.

Purelojik likes this.
  11. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Three things:

1. Check out what Adam does on his fb page (elysian guitars); I've been fortunate enough to hang out with him from time to time, and he's not only a good guy, but great at what he does. And the carved top/bent top thing that he does is really neat.

2. Thank you for the kind words, that's super nice of you to say.

3. I agree with the sentiment of "there's not a ton else to do" but then I see what Ken Parker has done. My god. I know that the Parker Fly isn't for everyone, but that technology in 1992? It's like Aliens made that guitar. And then years later, he moves to archtops and makes the most amazing and technologically advanced guitar I've ever seen (www.kenparkerarchtops.com).

That aside, in addition to what I've already mentioned, I try somehow to inject a bit of fun into what I do. I kinda look at myself as the David Lee Roth of guitar builders; like Dave, I'm not insanely gifted at what I'm doing, nor do I proclaim to be the best at it. However, I'll give you something that plays well, is relatively versatile (okay, maybe a bit more versatile than DLR), but is also fun and cool. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but now you've sadly been pulled a little further into my brain and where I'm coming from.

Sully (who isn't much of a VH fan, oddly enough)

12. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

Sully, we demand more spandex for the next video! :D

13. skeels

skeels New Member

^^ All Dave, all night....

:)

14. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

no we do not!!!

:rofl:

Purelojik likes this.
  15. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Eh, you guys just count your blessings that I'm wearing pants in those vids. It gets hot in that garage!

Sully

evolved_insanity likes this.
  16. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

It's true, I've been there.

Sully likes this.
  17. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

With hot coffee, no less!

18. BWGuitars

BWGuitars New Member

Wait, so are you supposed to stop drinking hot coffee in the summertime down here?

Sully likes this.
  19. Blue Belly Guitars

Sully, Ken Parker is an innovator. Be fun to work with him for a few months.

Sully likes this.
  20. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

In a hot garage in the afternoon? :) Ron Burgundy said it best when he said "milk was a bad choice!"

Oh man, that guy's beyond amazing. It'd probably take me a month before I'd be able to ask him a coherent question. A constant source of inspiration.

Sully

BWGuitars likes this.