What fret cutters do you use?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Mehnike, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Mehnike

Mehnike New Member

With so many different cutters claiming their high durability out there, I am unsure what is the best bet. Lets hear from the folks on here:

What cutters do you use for nickel frets that have impressed you and have lasted the longest?

Those that deal with stainless wire, what have you found to be the end-all to ss fret cutters? What cutters can truely handle multiple stainless fret jobs?

2. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

Both Crecent and Channel Lock end nippers have done me very well over the years.

I prefer the feel of the Crecent handles over the Channel locks.. but either does just fine.

3. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

I use this one:

Husky 7 in. End Nipper-48060 at The Home Depot

I don't use them too heavily, mind, but they've worked well for the nickel-steel, stainless, and EVO fretwire I've used. I've done...6 guitars with them so far, two if which had stainless fretwire, one of which had EVO, and the rest nickel-steel.

They cut quickly and smoothly, and they aren't cracked or chipped yet, but I have no illusions as to their cheapness. I don't know how long they'll last.

4. Mehnike

Mehnike New Member

Thanks guys, looks like I'll take a trip to the hardware store and check some of the above out. I was afraid it was necessary to buy something like the $50 cutters from lmii...

Do most of you guys tend to steer away from the "lutheir specific" cutters? Even with tang cutters?

5. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

I'll admit I bought the $30 fret cutters from $tewMac, so I don't have a good reference for other tools for this task. That being said, the cutters have worked very well for the several practice fretboards (just nickel/silver) I've used them for.

6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I bought a set at a hardware store then ground them down so the cutting surface was flat so I could cut really close to the fretboard. The set I bought were fairly expensive though, high end and high quality alloy. I'm honestly not sure what brand they are (and can't look since I'm not in the shop) other than they have blue plastidipped handles.

If you go too cheap you'll wind up spending that $50 or more on multiple sets over the same lifetime of a good quality set. The ones I have make short work of stainless steel, and I've had them for at least 8 years.

7. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

8. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

9. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

10. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

I've tried the Stewmac one, the flush cut nipper from Fastcap, and a set of channel lock nippers. I primarily use SS wire, and so far, the Stewmac one has done the nicest job. It's a little chewed from the ss wire (and I've had it since 2003), but it's still my go to tool.

Sully