What about a section on Acoustic Builds

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gborelli, Sep 4, 2013.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Anyone else think that having a section dedicated to building and/or repair acoustic guitars would be worth doing?

Thanks,

Gary

2. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

I'd say acoustic builds can also be shared in Guitar Building and repairs in the repair section. Neither of those say "electric" in the title ;)

3. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a section on finishing.

4. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Amen to this one. Both on stains and final coats. Especially on stain matching.

5. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

I've thought that "Glues, fillers & painting" is about finishing also, at least the subtitle says "Stuff we need to make wood stick together and make it look pretty."

jkes01 and Knarbens like this.
  6. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

So do I. That's the section for finishing questions.

7. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Right now , I guess that you would .
    I have 2 acoustic side sets in the molds right now and 1 electric will be happening soon enough .
    Maybe I'll post some stuff along the way .

8. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Ha Ha!!! Too funny. BUT!!!!! I do have leaning towards acoustic guitars and was just thinking if there was a thread for it that it might attract more guys who build them. I mean, really LOL, how many Les Pauls do we really need?:rofl:

g

9. otterhound

otterhound New Member

You know , I just like guitars in general .
    I have built both electric and acoustic .
    They are just different animals for different jobs to me .
    Acoustic guitars are more complicated to build , but the skill sets are basically the same , electronics aside .
    Have you considered a kit build , gborelli ?
    They are a good way to get started .

10. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Gary, you can never have too many Les Pauls :thumb:

11. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

A kit? Did you say a Kit? Naye Naye!!!! To build someone else's idea???? Never! I would rather stumble and squirm and feel retched pains to end up with an awesome build of something so incredible that the world has to come with a new name to describe this incredible instrument of grace and perfection:dude: And when all is said and done to stand in the glory of it all winning the praise and admiration of all who behold this new guitharpsibassabanjawingadingadong:minions: Now could you please direct me to where I may purchase a "kit" for the attached concept?:lol::lol:

Attached Files:

12. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

sigh.... I know

13. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Sorry , it's already been done , but there is this Albanian guy with a Nigerian address on eBay ....
    Oh yes , he does offer them left handed at no extra charge . :rofl:

14. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Too funny..... I needed a good laugh about now. Was working on the Martin and left it out side and it got way too much heat and now have a crack from the sound hole down. i forgot how important it is to keep those guitars in a comfortable environment. Such a stupid mistake. I can fix it, but, I should have never had to. just another reminder to slow down and pay attention to what you are doing. That was one of 3 stupids I did today. I think it might be good to just leave them alone for a bit. Oh and also managed to break the rosette I bought for the Martin Sigma. Just by moving it......:wallbash:

15. otterhound

otterhound New Member

I hope that your crack isn't the glued joint .
    Is it in the center ?
    If the rosette break is in only one place , you may be able to hide that under the fretboard .

16. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Yep! Right down the center from the bridge to the end of the guitar. Just appeared out of no where. The rosette is one break but right where there was a piece of inlay and part of it kind of crumbled. I could probaby glue it, but, it would look like that is what I did. I found another one on Ebay and ordered it.

G

17. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Since you have described a pure heat situation , there is a good chance that the glue softened and failed .
    I doubt that CA glue will bond to Titebond . Have it visually checked by someone that you trust and make a decision from there .
    You may want to use the old one and just hide the break under the fretboard . Many rosettes are incomplete under there .

18. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Can't hide it under the fretboard because of where it broke. This is the rosette for the Martin Sigma I'm working on and my plan is to glue to the top over the exiting Rosette Decal. We talked about it I think and you recommended rounding off the edge.

Now this Martin D-15

Hadn't thought about the glue failing. I need to take a real look at it tonight when I get home. I was so disgusted with myself for leaving it out like that I just put it away and haven't really thoroughly checked it out. Just a bit discouraging when I am so close to having it completed. Well, like you said, luthier's forum and a learning experience.

19. otterhound

otterhound New Member

That's it . Keep it positive .
    Is it strung up ? If it is , please detune at least .
    Yeah , it may not be a crack in the wood itself .
    Can you look under the top in some way to see if the problem stops at the bridge plate ?
    If you place a bright light inside the body while in a dark room .....
    There are many tricks . Just don't leave it on for a long period while in there because of heat .
    Good luck .

20. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Not strung up. Hasn't been since I started working on it. Crack is all with way through and started after the bridge. But, it is a perfectly straight clean line. No ragged edges at all. I think I am going add humidity back in first, before I glue it, to see if that helps close the gap and give it back some of the moisture that was lost by leaving it out. Also I bought a couple of LED flash lights that have almost 0 heat just for doing this kind of stuff and I have the cut out areas where the electronics go that I can shine lights through from the outside. Still really pissed off at myself for doing this. I know better.