Well Guys Hows The Luthier Trade Treating You?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by DRF, Mar 1, 2019.

1. DRF

DRF Member

Myself I've been waffling back and forth on what to do...thats luthier speak for a continuous Siesta. After I finish this one custom build I think I will just offer completed instruments for sale via my website. Doing custom work for ever changing picky guitarists is hitting me like a mind and financial soak.

I'm obviously doing it wrong, I haven't done enough but it's costing me to build. Settle on a couple models, streamline and done. Tired of making templates and working with new hardware.

2. jayjackson

jayjackson New Member

I only Do work on My own Guitars, so I only buy the tools I need for them. Doing work for others can become a Big Pain. Now if some one was to offer me Big Bucks to Build a Guitar I would consider it. The reason I do my own work is there are few Luthiers in My county. And I don't want to Deal with any surprises that having someone else might do.

3. DRF

DRF Member

Hmm well that is a different animal...I mean that sounds somewhat like hobby territory, I know there were a few guys on here starting up and doing it as a business. Also imo repairing guitars is different than building in many respects. I'm retired so theres no fulfillment for me doing say a refret and it would be a time suck away from one of my ground up builds where I typically spend many many hrs just dressing the frets.