We Need a Forum Moderator

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alex, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Hello Everyone :wave:,

I think we can all agree that it's time to find our first LuthierTalk moderator who can help out around here, like removing spam posts we've been getting lately. :squint:

If you're interested in becoming a mod, please sign in and tell us why you deserve to be a moderator.

If you don't want to be a mod for whatever reason but would like to nominate someone, please do so and tell us why the said member deserves to be a moderator.

Final decision and selection will be made by the end of the month.

Thanks!

2. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not that interested and I don't deserve to be a moderator, but I can do it if no one else does.

I've been a moderator before (@ Muay Thai Association of Finland's forum) and I visit this site daily, so I could do it... but only if no one else does. :D

sosay likes this.
  3. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

Im not active enough on here any more but I agree that we definitely need one >_>

4. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

actually, you do...if you have prior experience (preferably with the same software, vBulletin I believe) that is what is most important...there is an attitude required to pull it off (read that as dedication) and yet at the same time be impartial...simple banishment of spammers is easy...slapping a user upside the head for starting (or creating) fights is delicate...shrugs shoulders...

was a high profile supermoderator at a filesharing forum for years (actually still am I think, just self retired)...no biggy...but was hell of fun dealing with spammers, trolls, jerks, etc...

it's just a job and very rarely a paid one...it's just an attitude of caring about a clean forum, and then dealing with it appropriately...

there are plugins that mitigate spam issues...

5. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

well...one thing I've wondered is why, when a spammer is banned, does their name still show up as last poster to a thread and when you follow that link it shows an invalid comment...hmmmmm...point being, I guess, I'll also offer my services as I feel to give my energy...methinks incomplete commands are being used in the banishment process...IIRC you also need to remove all their posts to complete the process (which is what, again IIRC, I used to do when dealing with 'problems'...delete posts first, then ban the user)...anyway, I'm rather used to vBulletin, so perhaps I will be able to offer some useful experience...

if nothing else I can contact the admin of the 'other' forum and ask for advice about settings and such...that admin has been in power for around 10 years and knows the ropes rather nicely...me? I put him in power as a secondary admin with the knowledge I'd never garner the political votes needed to do the job...in a nutshell a secondary admin was needed, and I dealt with the problem and got another elected to the job...

6. sosay

sosay Member

i see you hate wenge? i am interested to find out why as i will be using a wenge body blanc on my tele build,cheers
    i can understand that it would be tough to work with

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  7. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

Answered your questions in the other thread. :)