Wd-40 To Lubricate Tuner?

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by JMaia, Apr 13, 2017.

1. JMaia

JMaia New Member

Hello

I have a guitar that have the tuners very sticky.I was wonderin if I could use some WD-40 on them? I have a can of that right here. The tuners are like the ones on this video:

2. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

WD-40 is crap...it's cheap and can be used as a cleaner, but most times it degenerates to a problem...e.g. feel free to use it as a product to get junk removed, but find another solution as a long term lubricant...teflon stuff, white lithium grease...whatever.

honestly I can't recommend a specific product, but I will say I am extremely confident that WD-40 is very problematic as a lubricant.

3. Cagey

Cagey New Member

I agree. WD-40 has a miracle worker reputation that far exceeds its capabilities. It's not meant to be used as a lubricant. For something like tuning pegs, to the extent that any oil will help, you'd want to use something like sewing machine oil. But, usually the problem with tuners that feel very tight is that the wiping surfaces of the gears have galled and no amount of lubricant can really help that.

4. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

WD -40
    stands for
    Water Displacement Formula #40

WD 40 is NOT a lubricant and should NEVER be used as such. its main job is to make water leave where ever it is sprayed. but once its drys up. its will leave a mechanical joint without ANY lubricant at all.

Tuning keys require GREASE.
    I made a mini grease gun from a large syringe and i use it daily for lubricating tuning keys. and I use a standard molybdenum type grease.

Palle Clausen likes this.
  5. Palle Clausen

Palle Clausen New Member

bruce bennett likes this.