Warped Soundboard.

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Jonny Cumbo, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Jonny Cumbo

Jonny Cumbo New Member

This acoustic guitar bridge came unglued in a hot car and the steel strings pulled the bridge so the soundboard became warped. How can I flatten the board? Once that is done I should be able to prep and reglue the bridge.
    Any ideas please?

2. Joe Hensel

Joe Hensel New Member

Bummer! I have repaired a few warped tops, working through the sound hole, by using my heated fret board removal pad sandwiched between 2 metal plates and clamped directly under the warp. First cover the plate with a wet cloth and clamp it to the inside surface of the top where the warp is. Also put a damp rag on top of the sound board so the the heat does not rise enough on top to hurt the finish. Then clamp the heat apparatus using a piece of hard wood on top over the damp rag and turn on the heat slowly. Even better if you have a way to control the temperature of the heat pad because 150 degrees Fahrenheit is plenty for 20 minutes. I use a laser type pointer to monitor the temperature. Leave it clamped while cooling overnight. It that did not work the first time and no damage is visible redo the process but leave the heat on a little longer. Proceed slowly and carefully because not all guitar finishes are the same.