Using 6x 'right' tuners for 4-2 tuner setup?

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Helderik, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Helderik

Helderik New Member

Hi all,

I am working on my own electric guitar design after my first les-paul replica build and have been making some progress. I am happy with the body design and have a general concept regarding pickups, materials, etc. At the moment I am working on the headstock design and it is giving me some problems.

In my latest sketches, I am looking to a 4-2 tuner setup (instead of 6-in-line or 3x3), similar to the Musicman silhouette. The silhouette uses 4x right tuner and 2x left tuner. The 4-2 setup is great because it allows straight string trajectories while still enabling a small headstock and some original designs. 4x a right tuner and 2x a left tuner is my baseline design setup, but I was considering what would happen is I use 6x right tuner in a 4-2 setup.

This would save me some money (although, I would save up if necessary for two sets of tuners) and gives me more design freedom near the 'tip of the headstock' and allows some more original designs.

My question is:

Is it possible and robust to use a right tuner in a left position? Or does this lead to tuning problems/drift? Are left and right tuners only on the market for 'symmetry purposes' or is there also a technical reason?

Thanks!

2. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with using 6x right tuners except the problem players will have when tuning the instrument. A guitar player is used to a certain motion when tuning left tuners with intervisibility and right tuners without.

3. JSH

JSH New Member

OR, if you go with something off the beaten path like Steinbergers that issue becomes a moot point.
    There is a bit of a learning curve that goes along with them, and they are what I consider expensive,($100USD for a set of 6.) but MAN they work awesome.

4. Helderik

Helderik New Member

Thanks guys!

Great advice! I like the idea of the steinberg tuners!
    For some reason, I did not consider them as of yet. How are they concerning mass? Are they much heavier than 'normal' tuners?

I am gonna let the steinbergers settle in my mind and make a 3D sketch of them to see what they look like!

Erik

5. JSH

JSH New Member

Nothing even close to anything like the old firebird banjo tuners, I like they way the look too, not just the functionality.
    I mean C'mon who doesn't want a 40:1 tuning ratio?

6. Helderik

Helderik New Member

So where can I buy the steinberger tuners? It seems stewmac only sells black and gold ones (for as long as they are available)... Who sells these tuners nowadays?

Erik

7. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

In my search for "Steinberger Gearless Tuners" Stew-Mac was the only place that came up..
    Steinberger is now owned by Gibson & they've used these tuners on some Firebirds in the last few years, You might even be able to contact them if you gotta have the chrome, which it seems Stew-Mac show "No Longer Available"
    I've always liked the idea & did play a Tikibird Gibson at Guitar Center with these tuners & they are precise & smooth, The show 40:1 gear ratio but they have no gears, I,m not quite sure how they came to that number?? They are a simple design & if kept lightly oiled should has forever..

Viel Gl├╝ck bei der Suche aus den Niederlanden

Hier ist Eintopf-mac & gibsons Telefonnummern

Stewart Macdonald 1-800-848-2273
    Gibson USA 1-800-4GIBSON

8. HEADKNOCKER

9. JSH

JSH New Member

Well then....That is disheartening to hear.
    I got mine from Stew Mac, probably 18 months ago.
    Did they discontinue production on these I wonder?

10. HEADKNOCKER

11. jmferris

jmferris New Member

I ended up going with HipShot Grip-Locks for the build I am doing now. You can order the tuners individually through HipShot, directly, or you can find some vendors that have them packaged in different configurations. Picked up a 4+2 set from a seller on Amazon, and picked up a set of Schaller buttons (which are compatible with the tuners) that I like.

They have a pretty good button selection, too - and since you can use Shaller buttons, that opens a lot of doors. If you want a distinctive look, you can always try the SK1 buttons, too. They do have them in Chrome, but the picture they have is in black.

[​IMG]

I had been considering those buttons, before I started getting horn-happy, materials-wise. (So many ways I could have phrased that wrong... :rofl:)

12. HEADKNOCKER

Those tuners look great & are small..
    Can't wait to see your update on your build..
    Gary/Hk

jmferris likes this.
  13. jmferris

jmferris New Member

Thanks, Gary. Got a delivery estimate on my shed, which isn't until Monday, unfortunately. That puts me getting the workshop/garage put together next weekend, instead of this weekend. So, likely a week or two from actually building. :ohno: My new table saw and router table are sitting in their boxes, crying to be setup.

Do have a closeup of those tuners on my master template, with the third-party buttons, though:

[​IMG]

Have the inline-six on my Strat and my Tele, and cannot recommend them enough. I paid around $50 USD for the 4x2 configuration, and it was less for the inline-six. They are incredibly smooth, and I don't know if I could ever move away from locking tuners, anymore.

14. HEADKNOCKER

I like locking tuners too, My Blueshawk & PRS have them & they are just so easy to change strings, No winding required, string winder etc..

Radical headstock shape dude :dude:

jmferris likes this.
  15. HEADKNOCKER

I also wonder if the shape of your headstock & string angle to tuner will eliminate the binding that seems like a lot of say Gibsons have on the G string..
    I've seen the early EVH Musicman & it was similar 2 x 4 design, Very Unique!!
    I also NOTE: that your headstock shape leaves a big area for say a clip on tuner or capo to be stored there..

Some Bass players put a C Clamp on their headstocks in the studio too.. Hmmmm?

jmferris likes this.
  16. jmferris

jmferris New Member

Although it is hard to see, the headstock is a stylized version of the body shape. The waist is obviously more subtle, and I've reversed a couple of curves, but that is mostly how I arrived at it.

The picture is at a bit of an angle, so the tuners are not going to be as straight-on as they appear. That being said, though, locating the G on that side very definitely does reduce the angle off of the centerline, over what it is at on a Gibby. Had experimented a bit in trying to get straight-on alignment, but with that same general headstock shape, and I just could not get it to work.

Never thought about clipping a tuner or capo, but I am definitely sure to do it now. :hmm: