Use Of Bigsbee On A Arch Top Acoustic

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by jayjackson, Jul 22, 2018.

1. jayjackson

jayjackson New Member

I have seen many bigsbee tremolos on electric arch tops has any one seen this done with a acoustic arch top

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Most acoustic arch tops have floating bridges, which would not work with a tremolo. If it has a fixed bridge you might be able to put one on, providing the arch allows it.

3. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

4. jayjackson

jayjackson New Member

so I am wondering what the effects are concerning Tone and rsonence with a heavy Block of metal attached to the sounding board let alone when you apply pressure on the Arm

5. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

well, i can say with certainty that the sustain is very good. and the guitar actually has a nice well balanced acoustic tone.

That said, Gretsch acoustic guitars are not like any other acoustic out there. while they have excellent balance and a very even tone and volume across the fretboard..
    they are not as loud or "boomy" as you might expect like other brands tend to be..

They make great recording guitars and they play well live, with good feedback rejection properties.
    but if you have to compete with a banjo, mandolin or violin.. then no, that they won't do. at least not without amplification

but in my honest opinion the bigsby really doesn't have that much of an effect on the overall tone. I have both types of Gretsches here in the shop and they sound remarkably similar with or without a bigsby.