Two Sets Of Pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Whisky Jack, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Whisky Jack

Whisky Jack New Member

I am not a Luthior. I'm a retired old carpenter, that is doing my second build. My first was a four string cigar box guitar, that turned out great. Now I have undertaken building a one piece Jatoba wood electric. (Actually 2 piece when I overlay the Ebony fingerboard on to the neck) This may be a stupid question. But why can't I use two sets of single coil pickups? Set side by side. With a switch to power one set or the other. So the build could have 2 different sounds. Thanks in advance for any and all ridicule.

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

no reason not to. Currently working on a guitar with 3 single coils and 3 dummy single coils using a 5 way + a rotary 4p4t. All sorts of things you could do. you could wire each set of two in series and use a std 3 way switch to fire a, b or a+b. You could wire the 4 to a 5 way switch giving you ab, ac, c, cd, d... the possibilities are endless.

Whisky Jack likes this.
  3. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Go for it!

Whisky Jack likes this.
  4. Whisky Jack

Whisky Jack New Member

Thanks for your input mistermikev! I have read that the density of the Jatoba I'm using, brings out a "warmer/darker" tone. So I am thinking on using a set of classic mid range output pickups, and possibly a set of high output David Allen "Echoes". I know I may be setting myself up for a wiring nightmare. I have so many times seen a guitarist change guitars between songs. I thought I might be able to somewhat remedy that. Going out to finish "rough cut" on guitar now. Pics soon. Thanks again!

5. Whisky Jack

Whisky Jack New Member

Thanks Guitar Builder! It may turn out to be a calamity. And a huge waste of money. But I'm used to wasting effort and money. (ie marriages, whisky, raising kids, etc, etc!) Thanks again!

6. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

shouldn't be that hard. depends on how you look at it. i suggest you get a plan together and someone here will help. there's also seymour duncan website that has lots of wiring experts. I suspect that if you just look at some diagrams you should be able to piece together a plan. make a crude drawing and go for it.

Whisky Jack likes this.
  7. Whisky Jack

Whisky Jack New Member

mistermikev, I just shot off an email to David Allen. I have read and heard nothing but good, about his products. It is his pickups I plan to use. His "Echoes" and his "Texas Flood". With those, I think a Lead Player should be able to cover from Hendrix, to Pink Floyd, to the Texas sound of ZZ top and Stevie Ray!As I said, I'm not a Luthier. I don't even play a guitar. I'm an old carpenter doing this as a hobby. But I was a Blues Harp player for years and years. And I have seen so many Lead players switch guitars between songs, to get a different sound. That is what gave me the idea for a schizophrenic guitar. I'm going to try to post some pics of the Oversized Rough Cut of The Guitar Body.jpg Guitar rough cut.jpg Guitar rough cut.jpg Guitar rough cut.jpg "Schizocaster". (Oversized rough cut, because it's easier to take more wood off, than to put it back on!) Thank you for being my first response, and the encouragement you have shared.-Whisky Jack

8. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

geez, one piece guitar right off the bat? ambitous. looks like mahog. good on ya. should be cool.

9. Whisky Jack

Whisky Jack New Member

I figure it is better to "fail greatly", than to "try meekly"! I once came across a work of graffiti in Nashville that simply said, "Defy Mediocrity". I may be over my head on this project. But whether it turns out to be a dunce, or a killer guitar, it won't be "mediocre". The wood is Jatoba. Also known as "Brazilian Cherry". And is very hard/dense wood. To give reference, it is more than twice as hard as Red Oak. So it burns out lots of blades and sandpaper. Which is actually good. Because it forces me to use a slow approach to building it. Therefore less chance of making a mistake. Thanks for the encouragement! Whisky Jack

10. rgraf

rgraf New Member

The pickup position determines what portion of the string is sensed. A pickup closer to the bridge sounds 'sharper'. There are some pickups with coil taps, and dual coil pickups that can be switched to single coil. Bartolini used to make a model called the Beast that had 8 coil taps, in a humbucking configuration. Then, there's tone selectors like Gibson's Vari-Tone and all the knobs and switches on models like the Les Paul Recording. There's a ton of wiring options, also: series, parallel, out of phase, capacitors, inducfors, active filters. Take a look at stewmac.com and seymourduncan.com for examples. Personally, I'm a 2 pickup player, although I have a Beast lying around that I want to put in a build.

11. Whisky Jack

Whisky Jack New Member

Thanks rgraf. Due to a setback, work on this guitar has stopped for now. After my initial rough cut on it, I discovered it was not a single 8/4 piece of wood as sold to me. It is actually two 4/4 pieces laminated together. And therefore unacceptable for me to continue with. But the supplier has admitted the "mistake", and will make good on it. Just kinda bummed after keeping it in my living room "air-drying" for six months, to bring the moisture content down in it. Oh well.