Three Teles - My Current Build Series... Just For Fun.

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by mistermikev, Dec 1, 2019.

  1. mistermikev

    mistermikev Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2015
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    13
    so officially starting up my next project... 3 teles. Working on templates for now, and have setup my body blanks... but figured I'd kick the build thread off.

    so first up... "The Broadchaser". Planning this to be sort of a 'modern classic' - vintage looks with modern electronics (more than likely 6 way rotary). The main milestone here will be doing a relic finish.

    [​IMG]



    This one I'm calling the "Gipsum Les Flaws". Sort of tongue in cheek - not sure if I'll stick with the inlay/name as I don't want to anger the gods... but this should be a carved flame top over a quilt maple body... laminated set neck, 27.5" scale length baritone.

    [​IMG]

    finally, what I'm calling the "Tuxedo". 30" radius top and bottom. Semi hollow.

    [​IMG]

    that's what I'm aiming for anyway. As always all comments, questions, jokes, asides, bedtime stories, laughs at my expense, completely unrelated content - welcome in my thread.

    ===========update 11/29/19 10am =====================

    so almost done with all my templates, but waiting on some 1/8" straight bits for headstocks, fholes and other detail items.

    here are my three body blanks weighed in at the start...

    first up the baritone 'les flaws'. I bought this body on craigslist for $40... it's solid quilted maple and was already hogged out. needs a little tlc on the shape and the centerline is about 1/8" off. Thought it'd be ideal for a baritone as the maple is hard and bright and lower notes will benefit in tightness.

    [​IMG]

    this one will be the 'tuxedo' blank.

    [​IMG]

    and finally the broadchaser blank at 1 15/16 weighing int at a hefty 8lbs 6oz.

    [​IMG]



    here is a blank I made up of a wenge center with flamed maple outters. both the les flawes and tuxedo necks will come out of this piece. below that is a heavily flamed piece I'm using for the broadchaser.

    [​IMG]



    here are the 'les flaws' and tuxedo blanks cut apart and planed down rough.[​IMG]

    "If they don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -redgreen.

    Started working wood last night on my "broadchaser". So with that in mind I hope to learn something here and perhaps someone else will find it useful. How much weight will I reduce by doing 'x'. So below is a series of picks detailing my tele body weighed at differing points. My ash isn't as light as I thought (apparently my estimate was off a bit) so I figure I need to get it down in the 4-5 lbs weight range at the most. taking off 1/4" of wood dropped it down from 8lbs 6oz to 7lbs 9.4oz.

    [​IMG]

    cutting it to shape took me from 7lbs 9.4oz to 6lbs 12oz

    [​IMG]

    cut my pickup and control cavities to 1 1/4" depth... in hopes of removing as much weight as possible... that took me from 6lbs 12oz down to 6lbs 6.3oz

    [​IMG]

    I could still remove a little off the back and get down to 1 1/2", and I think I will, but I'm guessing that isn't going to remove enough... so now I have to build a template to make a smugglers route. Since I have to do that anyway, I've decided I'm going to go back to a single coil in the neck and do a 'hidden' coil just under the pickguard and just in front of the bridge so I can keep my wiring interesting.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. mistermikev

    mistermikev Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2015
    Messages:
    115
    Likes Received:
    13
    =============update 11/30/19 ============================

    hogged out some smugglers route and got down to 6lbs 0.5oz

    [​IMG]

    in the cleanup looks like we eliminated another 6oz for a total of just under 12oz removed.

    [​IMG]

    cut the join for my les flaws top...

    [​IMG]

    glued it up

    [​IMG]

    my join turned out really nice - more due to the extra time taken to ensure a flat edge with shims and some hardwood with notches that were sitting underneath.

    [​IMG]

    here's the bottom - hand sanded for less than 5 mins to get it clean so must've done it right.

    [​IMG]

    did a wire channel in the body for the pickups/toggle but the neck tenon will close this up partially, will have to reroute that section once the neck is on.

    [​IMG]

    hardest thiing I've done so far... not that it's spectactular or anything... but getting this right really challenged me and too a long time! alternate headstock shape for the les flaws.

    [​IMG]

    really pleased with this top. this is one I got from downhomewoods and have had it for quite a while... just realizing now it's actually quarter sawn. not sure how easy it is to see... but it's got some really cool shimmering fleck.

    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice