Telecaster Saddles

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Teratroya, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Teratroya

Teratroya New Member

Hi guys new to this forum, but hoping someone here can help.
    I have a telecaster with old style saddles, the problem surprisingly isnt intonation, but more every gauge of string I use creates burs on the saddles causing strings to snap at a ridiculous rate, I played a show a week ago and snapped four strings! And am snapping strings at every practice and isn't an issue I have with other guitars I own.
    I have replaced the saddles with two different brands and still the problem persists, is this down to bad technique and playing or have I just been severely unlucky with my purchases? the guitar also has locking tuners but other than that is a standard vintage Tele set up.

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Perhaps it's your choice of strings? Which brand and gauge do you use?

3. Teratroya

Teratroya New Member

Ernie Ball usually, on this guitar I've used heavy top slinky bottoms, as well 10s and 11s, 11s have definitely made it worse but the problem was definitely there before I used them

4. rgraf

rgraf New Member

What do you mean by 'old style saddles'? Are you referring to the 3 saddle piece type, or the stamped individual saddles, as compared to the newer machined saddles? If it's the 3 saddle type, I'm not sure what you can do, if the saddles are getting pitted. As for the six saddle type, you might want to try the graphite saddles.

5. Ray Carlton

Ray Carlton New Member

you're snapping strings at practice at work at gigs et al
    but where are they actually breaking ? at the saddle?, at the tuner?, nut?
    once we know that we might be able to tell what is going on.
    maybe your tightening the locking tuners down too tight
    I dont like em as a breed as strings do tend to break a lot more often and always at the tuner end