Tapping Instrument w Strings on back of neck also.

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Tatsu, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Here's measurements for a tapered 24 string tapping instrument with 12 strings on the front and 12 strings on the back. It shows that a Chapman stick headstock would make the instrument 117.5 cm but my headstock design for zither pins would reduce that to 107cm. It also shows that I don't know what the measurement would be if a Steinberger situation. I'm showing this because I don't want zither pins. I like the idea of dampening the strings behind the nut if not being able to angle the strings 15-17 degrees.

It shows the use of Stewmac Fretwire #154 and that the fret height should be .050" and that the first and last strings should be about 4 mm from the side. The string spacing is .300" and the group spacing should be .380". The scale length is 91.5cm.

It also shows that the distance between any gouging out of the wood beneath the pickups should never cause the instrument to be less than half an inch thick at any point.

The integrated "lap dawg" is less than 30 cm from the butt end. This solves the problem of inventing a belt hook. I don't recall Bill Evans standing up to play his piano. This is a sit down instrument although it may require a stand made from modified cymbal stands.

If using wood, it should be made from Eastern Hard Maple but polycarbonate, graphite, or laminated bamboo are also options depending on what is able to be sourced for a reasonable price.

The Reinforcement should be from two 1/16" thin and 1/4" wide TOW carbon fiber thread bundles with West Systems Epoxy and that they are placed in the center of the instrument 1/8" from the playing surfaces. When routing out the trench for placing the fibers, wood will be laminated back in to the hole creating a single skunk stripe to cover the trench. This can be from a contrasting wood or be from maple again. Maple is a very bright wood so we could use Makore, Mahogany, Koa, or Basswood to balance and tune the sound. See this page for the tone quality of woods and how they can be easily finished. Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Wood Descriptions

Its also possible to use use aircraft grade aluminum 2024-T4 alloy but the measurements would have to be recalibrated for width, height and placement.

The uncrossed left hand's tuning so far with the limitations for highest string currently is E F#ABC#D going from outside to inside. The right hand's tuning for uncrossed hands is C#F#BEAD going from inside to outside. One of the left hand bass strings on the back has to match the tuning of the left hand first string on the front, so I'll make that the 2nd string an E to match the tuning on the front. That will give me a low B on the first bass string creating a BEADGC situation low to high outside to inside for the left hand on the back. For the bass on the back right, it can match the right hand front C#F#BEAD but in the bass register.

The only things my document doesn't show is the sharp corners of the plank should be cut and sanded like a Stick. It also doesn't show the shoulder strap or the measurement for the thickness at the butt end since that depends on how much wood has to be gouged out for the pickups.

There could be offboard controls but actually there could also be no controls which would make life easier constructing this bad boy. EMG pickups don't need to be turned down for playing jazz fusion. Amps always have a volume knob.

I see my EMG FT pickups are .500 in. tall from the top of the mounting foot and .850 in. tall overall.

This raises the issue of the number of jacks. Sticks have a stereo jack but I'd like one for each front side and one for the back for a total of three but the back could be one for back left and one for back right too. I'm not picky.

I still couldn't find Warr guitar, Megatar, or Stick string heights but found one for guitar. It said 1st fret - 1/64th of an inch at the first string and 1/32nd of an inch on the sixth string.

12th fret -for electric guitars, the first string is 3/64th of an inch and the sixth string is 5/64th of an inch.

I imagine Stick and Warr guitar string heights are significantly less.

Attached Files:

2. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Here's a close up of the headstock when it was a 10+10 string instrument and was planning on using a truss.

I've also included the blueprint for when I was planning on modifying a Chapman Stick to have bass strings on the back which better shows how it's played to help folks visualize it.

Attached Files:

3. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

I'll trade you a Z-tar if you'll build it for me. That's a $3,000 value. I already found someone who wants to take up the challenge but they don't want to trade. Maybe you do?

4. trevor

trevor New Member

5. trevor

trevor New Member

is that fretwire height 0.50 or can it be higher like on the chapman stick...I am in process of making my first stick and was thinking a good height would be more like 1/8th of an inch for a clear sound..?