Summer build

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Marcus, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Got the larger planks cut into fitting (almost) pieces yesterday. Today i glued the neckblanks tougether :ohno: It is my first time doing this, so i'm rather exited about how it turns out. The planning work didnt go so well, so i might try to set up a router-planning-jiggamathing tomorrow to get things all straightend out, though that will require me to buy a plate of MDF.
    [​IMG]

TylerRay likes this.
  2. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

MDF is cheap! Never too much MDF in a shop :naughty:

Marcus likes this.
  3. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Exactly! :D I took a sneakpeak at the joint, and it actually looks quite all right!
    Guess tomorrow will be planning the neckblanks, and planning the bodyblank :)

4. ericschaeferguitars

ericschaeferguitars Member

Wow, I really like that peghead design! I really need to start using autocad or some kind of software. Seems like it really cuts down on the time spent designing using french curves or other stone age implements

Marcus likes this.
  5. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Today I got alot of work done! I made a template for the body, while my friend did the neck template (Teamwork, yay!). I then figured that my planning jig was a bit too risky, so instead I wisited a friend of the family, that had a industrial thickness planner :bowdown:. He then thinned my blank down to 4,1cm :D When i got home i smacked the template on and drew a couple lines, roughed it out, and routed for an hour or so. Got some bad tear outs though.. :mad: Anyhow, here's some picutres:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Yep, you'll learn quickly about how to route bodies :lol:

Sully likes this.
  7. Marcus

Marcus New Member

hopefully :lol: I Think I Will get a spiral bit for next time :) Now i wonder, how do i fil tearouts? I Will just sand some Of it away, but what if i Want to fix it :)?

8. BWGuitars

BWGuitars New Member

If you're doing a natural finish? You sand out the tearout :)

Sully and Marcus like this.
  9. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Disc sander.

10. Marcus

Marcus New Member

I used my homemade spindle sander, and it worked quite nice! No more tearout on this one, lesson learned for next time; Buy a spiral router bit :lol:

11. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Marcus likes this.
  12. BWGuitars

BWGuitars New Member

Honestly, when I was cutting body profiles with templates and pattern bits I always used straight bits. I didn't get into spiral bits until I got my CNC up and running. Just follow the rules in that link and you can have good results with a straight bit. Remove as little material as possible per pass and be aware of the direction the router spins so it doesn't yank your workpiece out of your hands.

Marcus likes this.
  13. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I still occasionally have issues with a straight bit and that method, especially on mahogany. I try to be very careful, but sometimes it's unavoidable to have a piece chunk out. I'm thinking a spiral cut bit would alleviate those issues.

14. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Thanks guys! I should try taking off less material at a time, I think thats what caused the tearout. I will try to follow those next time :)!

15. BWGuitars

BWGuitars New Member

Soft, open-grained woods are just a bitch to work when you get to the endgrain with a router, no matter the method. I haven't tried spiral pattern bits, but I have no doubt that it would make life MUCH easier.

16. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

man freud bits make quick work of end grain for me. So far if im using the red painted diabolo bits i wont have a problem. I usually use a diamond card to keep them super sharp. The stew mac pickup routing bits area also wonderfully sharp.

17. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Most of the things have already been mentioned. Rough out the body as close to the actual contour as you can and/or rout in multible shallow passes (!). Sharp bits are a big plus too. Spiral pattern bits may work even better, but this way might be fine with straight bits also. When I cut a body I want my router to cut like butter.

18. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Thank you all for the kind advice! I will remember these for next time i rout :) I tried to rout the trussrod channel today, and figured that my neckblank was not straight.. Guess i'll have to figure a way to make another blank

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  19. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Got the carve started today! I did not have a propper rasp laying around, so i picked one up at the local store. And it turned out that it was quite all right :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the end i wiped the wood over with a damp cloth:
    [​IMG]

KnightroExpress, Zach.H and TylerRay like this.
  20. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

Looks like you made out ok with that rasp. I have a few cheap hardware store rasps that are absolutely useless. They might work on something soft like balsa wood, or maybe cheese, but for anything else completely hopeless. I have a few really nice ones that I got from StewMac and Lee Valley, and they really make all the difference. The Japanese Dragon rasps from StewMac are especially nice. They take wood away almost effortlessly. I also have a razor file from Lee Valley, and it's fantastic too. Oh yeah, the Microplanes are also great to have, and they're cheap as hell.

Marcus likes this.