Stratty (First Build)!

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Zach.H, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

I found a picture! Its pretty close to what I had in mind (I probably remembered it from seeing this picture). I know I got it somewhere in this forum, just don’t know exactly where. To whoever made it, thanks

Attached Files:

2. emoney

emoney New Member

Out of curiosity, Zach, what made you decide to recess the bridge? Was it a string height decision?

Build's coming along very nicely. Good work!

3. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

Yep string height. A problem of using a bridge designed for an angled neck on a strat. I've seen a few guys do it with tuneomatics.

4. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

Here is the carve so far. Not 100% happy with it, mainly because it isn't symmetrical. The photo makes it look out of square.

Some angles make it look pretty good, some don't. It looks a little out of place on a strat. Not hugely, but enough to bother me. I've shown it around, some like it, some don't, so I think I will just neaten it up and leave it. Not sure how it will be when its finished :ohno:. At least no one can say it isn't unique!

I think its time to start ordering electronics. :D

Attached Files:

KnightroExpress likes this.
  5. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

The carve is really cool! Are you going to try to highlight it somehow when you finish?

6. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

Any thoughts on this loaded pickguard?
    https://www.siglermusiconline.com/s...kguard-Everything-Axe-W-2-Toggles-81p5615.htm
    Has coil splitting on the neck and bridge and the can have the neck pickup turned on regardless of the pickup selector switch position.

Seems to do everything pretty well and nothing exceptionally. I experiment with just about every style and my only other axe is a knockoff SG, so looking for something to fill all the gaps. I think this will do great until I build my next one.

7. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

Thanks! I have thought about doing a amber all over, then taping the sides of the carve when I do the burst so there are light colored fangs (for lack of a better word) highlighting the carves. I think I can find a pic of what I'm talking about.

8. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

One from Jay Jillard. Absolutely stunning guitar. Not 100% sure but when I get closer to staining it I will know.

Attached Files:

9. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

Done a fair bit since I last posted. Everything's been ordered, the body has been sanded and the grain filler applied, but most importantly, I did the stain! Didn’t have enough definition in the carve to mark it off like I thought I might. It looks more rustic and worn in than I originally had in mind, and it looks awesome! I'm super stocked! I don’t have any good pics of the side, but different parts of the grain have absorbed the stain in different ways, from nearly black to almost not at all. It looks really nice. It was a two man job. As I wiped the stain on Dad wiped and blended the stain behind me.

The pictures, as always, doesn’t do it justice. In real life there is more contrast, but not a huge amount.

In other news, that marimba I mentioned earlier somewhere is nearly done (I haven’t had a huge amount to do with it). It just needs its bars tuned and stained.

Attached Files:

10. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

All set up for the clear coats. Going to do one last one tonight and then leave it.

I need a real camera.

Attached Files:

11. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

Mock up looks awesome! Just needs a bit of tweaking before I buff it out, but should be done really soon.

Attached Files:

KnightroExpress likes this.
  12. GreaseBox

GreaseBox New Member

13. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Active Member

I love the color you ended up with! Looking sweet :)

14. robanomoly

robanomoly Active Member

Wow! Great work! Wish my first build looked that nice.

15. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

Thanks! Pretty keen for it to be done! Needs a few more clear coats first. Got #2 planed, but I'm now broke so it wont be for a bit.

16. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

I hate this part of the finish. Still slowly curing :squint:

Buffed it out and got a pretty good result first time. Went from 1200 grit to a decent shine with very little effort. Still experimenting with rouge to get rid of those little scratches.

IMAG0302.jpg

Now for the headstock. Lots of nice designs out there but having a pain getting one to suit the guitar (and definitively don’t want the normal strat shape). After playing with paper cut outs, getting closer.

Two that I like so far are:

IMAG0311.jpg
    IMAG0325.jpg

If this makes it through the edge is going to be carved and stained tobacco :p

IMAG0323.jpg

Looks nice with the eagle head too.

17. sprocket

sprocket New Member

Love the way you got the recess for the bridge . Keep it on mate !

18. Zach.H

Zach.H New Member

Cheers mate :yesway:

Anyway the finish still isn’t hardening after weeks. Put it down overnight and the cloth it was on got stuck into it :mad: Bah!

I'm not 100% happy with the burst in places anyway so it looks like I'm doing a refinish. :squint:

I've got the guitar strung up (minus high E) and its playing OK. Need to cut away the pick guard some more so I can lower the bridge because it is way too high.

And now the good part. It sounds great through my noisy cricket! This little amp is normally a bit harsh but the guitar is relatively smooth and warm and it sounds nice when clean. I wont be able to judge it too much until I set everything up properly and hear it through a good amp, but its seems to be a very versatile set of pups. From the playing I've done so far it sounds like its going to be a great blues guitar that will do a little bit of everything. It doesn’t get huge amounts of twang, but it gets enough. I cant wait to get it finished to hear it through a good amp!

Also the switchcraft jack seems sturdy. It broke my cable :rofl:

19. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

What finish did you use? I skimmed the thread but didn't see it mentioned.

20. sprocket

sprocket New Member

As stated above , what did you use , also some finishes take lots of time to cure .

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013