Strat With Lp Wood N Electronics

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Paul Kersey, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Paul Kersey

Paul Kersey New Member

I love the sound of a Les Paul, but prefer the playability of a Strat. So I'm thinking of making a Strat with a Mahogany body w/ Maple cap n a Mahogany neck w/ Ebony fretboard. Then some vintage PAF style pups. Prob the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF; it's always my favorite in those yt shootouts. It's hard to make a decision from video tho..

Haas anyone had an experience making this type of guitar?

Also, I've noticed that when a Strat/Tele has a Mahogany body it's always a thinline. It's probably to cut some of the weight, but wouldn't take some of the heaviness away from the tone?

Oh ya, what do you think of Warmoth guitars? As you've probably already figured out I'm not much of a luthier, so I'll have to hire someone to build my creation. I would have already put in my order if the guitars were returnable, but I guess that comes with custom orders.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. larryguitar

larryguitar Member

In my opinion, the woods chosen will have far less effect on the tone of the guitar than other differences, the biggest being the scale length and the difference in bridges. In my experience, it's not really possible to get a true 'LP' tone from a 25 1/2" scale neck. Add in a trem, or even a hardtail that's not a TOM, and you're going in a different direction.

There are plenty of 'superstrat' guitars with humbuckers; I've owned many, and made a few. To my ears, they don't sound like LP's, but like superstrats. This applies when the body is made of alder, poplar, ash, mahogny or sapele; they still sound much more like each other than any does like an LP.

To get the ergo's of a strat with the tone of an LP, you've have to get a 24 3/4" scale neck, a TOM bridge, pickups mounted in rings, and not a pickguard, and maybe even a set, rather than screwed, neck. THEN the woods might start to come into play.

Just MHO, of course; others may disagree.

Larry

John Nicholas likes this.
  3. John Nicholas

John Nicholas New Member

Certainly can understand what you are looking for. But I agree with larryguitar that if you want the sound of a Les Paul and the shape of the Strat that will sound like a Les Paul, you will need the same scale, tilt back neck and Tune-O-Matic bridge.

As for the weight, it really depends on the density of the blank you purchase. But a way to get the weight down is drill some weight relief holes in the mahogany, no need to do a thin line style. The holes would be hidden by the maple top, although you would need to plan carefully so that when you carved the "comfort contours" you didn't open up any of the weight relief holes.

Last year I built a Telecaster style guitar that has some of the elements you mentioned, although it's a 25.5 scale, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. Here are a couple of photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

larryguitar likes this.