spindle sander, discount option

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Axeman270, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Axeman270

Axeman270 Member

Hello,

Been looking at the Ridgid spindle sander for a while, but having a hard time justifying the price at $200 since I'm not sure how many guitars I'll build or how much I'll use it after that. I know it used to be $120, and have seen in searches that it was briefly as low as $45. Neither of those sale prices seems to have occurred recently.

So here are my options.....

1) I could try getting a store card for HD on ebay/craigslist etc. I presently found one locally that would save me $150. I'd try the HF 25% off coupon to see if they'd honor it, and have discounts for signing up for the email alert, could potentially get it for free or less when all is said and done. Just not sure how safe/legit the sale of these cards is, or how to make sure the seller doesn't just use the card number online after selling it.

2) With the present discount, I can get the one at HF for just under $100. Only 90 day warranty

3) appears identical to the HF one, but the grizzly has been going on ebay for $110-$130 + about $20 shipping. 1 yr warranty.

4) also identical in appearance is the performax at menards for $115. Comes with 2 yr warranty.

5) and the Wen sander on amazon/home depot at 129.99 with a 2 yr warranty.

I know the identical appearing ones are sometimes different as there about 7-8 versions I've seen for the same design and the weights are as much as 20 lbs different, but all of the other specs I've seen appear to be the same so I don't know what the difference is..

your thoughts?

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I got my Ridgid spindle sander on Craigslist for under $100. IMO just keep looking. Avoid Harbor Freight for any big tools, IMO.

TKOjams likes this.
  3. Axeman270

Axeman270 Member

I've thought about that, but getting it second hand voids the warranty, which is one of the many things the ridged has going for it. My understanding is it's not built the most durably, but when it breaks, they honor the warranty and repair it or replace it.

My understanding is that the parts are mostly plastic and will break eventually and many complain about the belt sander, though some say it works fine.

Comparing it just vs the harbor freight model, new, it would be an extra $100+, is less durable ( the hf is cast iron table, saw it in person), but has the lifetime warranty vs 90 days, and will have the adjustable table, and at least a somewhat, if not completely functional belt/edge sander.

Getting it used will likely be the same or more than that hf model, have the extra features, but parts may be worn and the warranty is gone. The wait to find a used one will also delay/slow the builds I'm working on.

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I've had my Ridgid spindle sander for many years now, and it even went through the flood in November. I had to replace the tabletop on it, but the damned thing still works. Besides, the Ridgid isn't the only option on Craigslist, and if you're just starting out then don't spend a ton, you can spend more later on if the building thing takes off, IMO.

5. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

I paid 200 for my Ridgid, it's the single most used tool in the shop. totally justified.

6. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

I agree with Adam about the Harbor F. power tools. Even a name brand off Craig's List will get you further down the road. I have a 4"x24" Craftsmen sander I got from a pawn shop that is probably 30 years old. The thing is rock solid. Brands like Powermatic, Delta, Rockwell, Unisaw are quality tools even with some age, and, you can still get almost any replacement parts. I have a Rockwell 6"x48" belt sander I'm putting back together that's probably around 60 years old. I'll post picks when it's ready for action. I picked it up for $150 with a 1hp Baldor motor, I found a near perfect platen for it on a woodworking machine forum for $35. This thing will outlast me...

7. sg lou

sg lou Active Member

I purchased one of these several years ago and had some good luck and great results...best part was I caught it on sale and had a 20% off coupon ! If I remember the final price was something like $85.00

14 In. Oscillating Spindle Sander

8. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

The Ridgid is worth every penny and then some.