Source For 5ply Wh/bl/wh/bl/white Body And Headstock Binding? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by theMIDrange, Jan 8, 2019.

1. theMIDrange

theMIDrange Member

evh.jpg
    does anyone know where one can find (preferably inexpensive)
    5 ply wh/bl/wh/bl/white(double thick) body and headstock binding?

stemac has no multiply and other common sources dont seem to stock it either

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. theMIDrange

theMIDrange Member

the closest I've found is this black white black allparts. I imagine that I could then laminate it up alongside Allparts White black white for a 6 ply. It results in black on one side and white on the other.....apparently there is no source for a 5 ply....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-Allpart...h=item41d8ae7c64:g:uKAAAOSwHptY-23j:rk:2:pf:0

I'd guess the binding in the first PIC (EVH worlfgang) is white black x2 with a thicker white outer layer.....so the only options for the actual binding is 2 ply and 3. Anything larger is made by adding subsequent layers and in this case then a thicker layer after...hope the colors match up - 'white' , cream, ivory etc

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. theMIDrange

theMIDrange Member

so, trying now to glue this together....local plastics retailer recommended E-6000 adhesive...didnt stick the abs? plastic together and didnt stick to wood.....any ideas what glue to use?

Tried hot hide glue as well with no luck

this may work?

https://www.lmii.com/glue/2947-binding-cement-15-oz.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  4. Drake Guitarworks

Drake Guitarworks New Member

Last I heard, the 5-ply binding was deemed proprietary by Gibson and hence, made specially for Gibson. I don't have any supporting documentation on that, but it would explain why it can't be bought or why you're having trouble locating it.

5. theMIDrange

theMIDrange Member

so I ended up using that glue from LMII.....it stuck well to the plastic and the wood even better. The challenge was that it set up within 15 seconds. It behaved much like superglue but a bit thicker and less runny....I ended up making it work but it was a battle and risky....would only recommend as a last resort....which it may be, as hard as it is to find a binding glue that sticks to both wood and these modern plastics.....another glue I heard about afterwards is SIG-MENT....may try that next......

Attached Files: