Some finish help needed

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Luthier-Atlanta, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta New Member

So I picked up this the other day along with another one and this one has an issue, someone went at it with the jack and dented it up big time. Not to mention it cracked and flaked off the finish (Poly?) to the point of no return.
    It is a tinted finish; I popped off a piece to check it out. Some of my dilemma is, going about the taping off of the segments and not allowing/assuring the tint base to creep underneath the tape line and foobar the other area. Any good advice will be appreciated, what tapes to use, how to ensure a good straight line, preventing bleed thru, etc.
    There is a surface damaged this area as well, any ideas on how to raise this area or fill, blend, fuax finish it? I believe the underling wood to be Ash or?. It is a MIJ 1978 Vantage VA 800 Artist made in the Matsumoto plant.

As one can see someone tried to stain the afflicted area. that being said I was thinking of using Behlen products;
    Vinyl clear lacquer sealer
    Tint Dark Walnut Toner
    Clear coat Ultra Flu Bond Satin finish.

Here are some pictures;

Info on the guitar;
    Vantage Guitars - 800VA 'Artist'...

Behlen Products;
    Behlen Wood Finishing Products | Page 1 of 5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      93.3 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      95.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

That's not maple. It is probably ash.

3. Luthier-Atlanta

Yeah your probably right I meant to type in Ash or?

4. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

It also looks a lot like oak, but I'm not sure I ever heard of a guitar made of oak, so I'm still saying it's most likely a very straight grained ash. As far as restoring it though, hopefully someone else chimes in because I haven't a clue. Sorry. :scratch:

5. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I would try to match it as close as possible with water-based stain and build up clear (or slightly tinted to take it the rest of the way) lacquer over it. Or poly if it's poly. Probably important to figure out exactly what kind of finish is on it. Keep in mind, it's probably never going to look 100% without a refinish, but if you can get it close they should be happy with it.

Luthier-Atlanta likes this.
  6. Luthier-Atlanta

I agree totally, I started the process yesterday. I figure at least this way I may save myself the journey of a total re-finish. We shall see how it comes out.

7. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

Just a thought, what about a nice, contrasting veneer overlay? Maybe something that encompassed the whole knob/jack area. Or an inlay? Japanese made, maybe a dragon shaped MOP inlay?