Slight twist in neck

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by ben_, Jun 19, 2016.

1. ben_

ben_ New Member

Hi! My first post here. I'm doing my first set neck refret - a LP Standard.

When I lay a notched straight edge over the treble side, the neck is perfectly flat.

When I lay it over the bass side, it has a slight backbow, with the apex at the 9th fret.

Rocking the straightedge towards the body end, i can fit a .009 feeler gauge under the straightedge at the 1st fret. Rocking it towards the nut, I can fit a .011 feeler under the straightedge at the 22nd.

I should be able to sand this out without losing much fingerboard thickness, right? Anything else I should try that?

2. EvilAsh

EvilAsh New Member

I'd be interested to know what can be done about this too. I wonder if the discrepancy will be noticeable after levelling the frets?

3. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

I assume this is with the truss rod at neutral?

I doubt that .011 would be all that noticeable, once the frets are installed and leveled. But I'm like you, I'd want to know what's going on to produce that. If everything is at neutral, then planning the board flat is the only thing I can think of.

4. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

5. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Can you set the neck up properly and the guitar is playable? If so, I'd just monitor the condition of the guitar over time. The only real solution would be to flatten the board, and if the neck is still prone to twisting then it's likely going to happen again.

TKOjams and fumblefinger like this.