Slide Guitar Build... U2 Style... My Second

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by mistermikev, Aug 23, 2018.

  1. mistermikev

    mistermikev Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2015
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    12
    so this is what I'm basically shooting for... I used pics of my actual top and my actual tailpiece here so... hope it ends up looking something like this:

    [​IMG]

    going to be fairly hollow:[​IMG]

    got a few templates made so far...

    [​IMG]


    ... and more templates:

    [​IMG]



    some wood pile shots:

    [​IMG]

    starting off at 6lbs 7oz...

    [​IMG]


    planing out the slight cup...
    [​IMG]
    attempt to make matching grain on control covers...
    [​IMG]

    1 outta 2 ain't bad: toggle cavity control plate worked great... used a bigger saw for the other cavity but failed as the blade was too thick(broke throught)... so I'll have to pickup some 1/8" mahog for that.

    [​IMG]

    revealed some nice grain planing down my neck blank...

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    obligatory forstner shot- down to 3lbs 9oz

    [​IMG]

    and after some work with the bowl bit...

    [​IMG]



    down to 2lbs 9 oz[​IMG]

    started to work on joining the top...

    [​IMG]

    with the bit taking off 1/16" on either side...

    [​IMG]


    "with a little help from my friends" used the 'roofing' method to join the 1/8" top (thanks mr natural)...

    [​IMG]
     
  2. mistermikev

    mistermikev Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2015
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    12
    UPDATE: -==========08/26/18==========-

    glued my top on...

    [​IMG]



    used my dremel to cut the inlay channels in my fretboard...

    [​IMG]

    final product...

    [​IMG]

    routered off the excess on my top...

    [​IMG]

    sounds great when you finger drum on it!

    [​IMG]



    no puppy toys were harmed in the making of this photo...

    [​IMG]
     
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  3. GuitarBuilder

    GuitarBuilder Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2013
    Messages:
    129
    Likes Received:
    17
    Looking good!
     
  4. mistermikev

    mistermikev Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2015
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    12
    so did binding this weekend... went pretty good all things considered. I taped/dry-fitted and bent the binding first... using a hair dryer (heat gun is just too much for binding I think). Then I used ca glue to go around the body again and pry-apart/glue/re-tape.

    [​IMG]

    and a closeup...

    [​IMG]



    started carving down my neck too... I still haven't round a good bandsaw so I used a jig saw. This meant a lot of excess to remove... so I just used a straight edge and multiple passes to prevent blowout. [​IMG]

    one step closer![​IMG]




    -thank you sir!
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice