Should bridge be conditioned periodically?

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Jeffrey, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

Getting ready to clean recently purchased 10+ yr. old Ovation, which is in fine condition as far as all wood portions.

Are guitars' bridges typically not seen splitting if instrument daily stored reasonably?

I was thinking that a little fret-board grade lemon oil might be practical as conditioner for bridge.

However, upon second thought, seemed best to seek input from luthiers on this area first before inviting an unforeseen problem . . .

Thank you for feedback . . . didn't see this addressed via search on site.

Gratefully, Jeffrey.

2. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

whenever I condition my fret board I also do the bridge...never noticed any issues with the practice

jkes01 likes this.
  3. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

My Ovation 1617s bridge gets wiped with lemon oil whenever I change the strings along with the fretboard too..

[​IMG]

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

Thanks Michael, HEADKNOCKER,

For HEADKNOCKER: A gentleman has created a website for Ovation enthusiasts. It appears to have a lot of archived published articles and blog, which I've not explored. I'm not sure if these articles are free to download, but he does have a freely accessible collection of parts lists for various Ovation models that he's expanding.

I noticed he does have the 1617 parts list. Although I am unsure whether the manufacturer still provides parts support, the diagram does show the 1617 in disassembled view and parts with original numbering. The disassembled view might be of interest to you. Here the link: Ovation Tribute , the Best Source for Ovation & Adamas guitars

Thanks to all parties, Jeff.

Edit note from Jeff: After I posted, I noticed the link showed as sales website: I typed the archive website link itself, not what shows. Therefore, after positing, I tried the above link; it does go directly to his website as I intended, not to Ovation sales. Ovation does have a link on his website; however, a visitor to his site has to click the link to get there. The above link will take you to the website I mentioned of archive material.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  5. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

I'm a member at that group Jeffrey
    In fact it looks like I picked that guitar up two years ago this weekend..
    One of the best pawn shop buys of my life that ovation is

6. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

Here is another good Ovation resource - http://www.ovationfanclub.com/

Everyone has their favorite fret board treatment. For years I did the "lemon oil" thing. I recently switched over to Feed and Wax. Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish & Conditioner | Howard Products

But buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. Don't spend $10 for 4oz at one of the luthier sites like I did. The big box stores have 16oz for $7-$8. I have a couple of pieces of mahogany furniture. It really makes them shine!

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

fumblefinger,

Thanks for Ovation fan club link. Mainly, I purchased a used CS257 because this model's shallow bowl design is easier on my spine with disc damage than what I would expect from a box guitar.

Thanks, Jeff.

8. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

Jeffery,
    Yes, my 1528D is a shallow body. More comfortable than either my 1111-7 or my Sigma DR-7. Especially sitting.