shielding theory

Discussion in 'Hardware, Electronics & Parts' started by 292fan, Jul 1, 2016.

1. 292fan

292fan New Member

If I understand correctly the whole point of the conductive paint, and tapes is so you can create a faraday cage around the electronics? this being the case wouldn't using a mesh screen to line the cavities and pick guard work better? a thicker material that is as conductive if not more should block out more of the interfering waves, it would allow you to shape it right to the cavity, you could attach the mesh to the body with an epoxy, and it would never come loose with out force, once you grounded it, via any number of methods you would legitimately have a cage around your electronics, and you can pick up 30 feet of copper mesh for around 15 or 20 bucks, granted the trade off would be your guitar would be heavier then it would be with the tape. does this theory seem sound, or has anybody on here done this, or heard of anyone doing this? I did a search online but didn't find anyone that has tried this. just a theory that popped in my head last night as I was putting the tape inside of one of my buddies guitars, I'm going to be trying it on my guitar that I am modifying right now, but don't really have anyway to test its effectiveness to see if its any better then the tapes and paint.

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

The mesh dimensions of a faraday cage are determined by the RF frequency one wants to shield against. If you're trying to shield 60 or 120 Hz, the mesh spacing would be around 250,000 meters. Your mesh simply won't do much. When that is not possible, a sheet is a better choice.

3. 292fan

292fan New Member

oh alright, makes sense, I figured some one on here would have better insight on the subject then I. thanks for the prompt response, and saving me the time and energy of shaping the mesh to the guitar. back to the conductive paint I go hahaha.