Shielding A Floyd Rose Hh Guitar?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Electronics & Parts' started by Deep Purple, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Deep Purple

Deep Purple New Member

Hello Luthiers, got a question for y'all.

I get some crazy noise coming out of my amp. I am playing a Charvel DK 24, http://www.charvel.com/guitars/pro-mod_dk24/pro-mod-dk24-hh-fr-maple-fingerboard-snow-white/.

Now I have learned that covering the control cavity with copper or aluminium tape will reduce the noise. I have seen plenty of videos of people shielding stratocasters and it's straight forward, easy to understand. But my question is how would I go about shielding a floyd rose guitar with 2 humbuckers? I mean on a strat everything is attached to the pickguard and is therefore quite easy to "box" it in. On this guitar, should I only cover the control cavity with copper tape? Then attach an extra grounding cable to the volume knob that I later attach to the copper material? Should I cover something more than the control cavity? If anyone has any pictures or videos on how this is done I would appreciate it if you sent a link.

Hopefully my question wasn't too convoluted. The background noise is driving me insane, whenever I turn up the gain it get's painfully annoying.

Cheers lads!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. DRF

DRF Member

Older post but...how did you make out?

HB's are supposed to be hum cancelling. Most Strats run a ground wire under the bridge, and/or one to the trem claw and one to the body. Also on a strat the shielding in cavities goes up and over the lip just a hair so there is no "open space" when pickguard is on. Look at some vids/schematics and be thorough. I use the nickel spray shield in cavities mostly because it looks cleaner, easier to apply and gets in smaller crevices like a wire channel.