seek guitar builder

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Earnest Buyer, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Earnest Buyer

Earnest Buyer New Member

I know this is a question with no "right" answer, but insofar as the question CAN be answered, can anyone please direct me to any of the "best" guitar builders in the world?

I wish to commission the construction of two six-string acoustic guitars: one steel-string, and one nylon-string. The guitars need not both be built by the same luthier.

If for any reason the luthier(s) suggested do NOT have especial expertise in the installation of multiple state-of-the-art pickups, I would also appreciate any input on qualified artisans for that task as well.

I'll pay what it costs, and pending proper vetting of the luthier's work, and submission by the luthier of a legally-binding, written guarantee that the work will be completed within one year, I'll pay half up front. Luthier(s) must be properly bonded.

I'll go anywhere that's safe to go, and I will purvey any wood(s) the luthier(s) may be unable to purvey themselves.

Thanks.

2. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

I think the "best" guitar builders in the world have waiting time that is more than one year...

3. B. Howard

B. Howard New Member

Um.....OK

First if the best guitar maker in the world cannot install a pickup...well he isn't the best is he?

But here are some of the best of the best in no particular order, Oh and better bring your wallet cause some of these folks guitars cost more than my new car.......

Handmade Guitars: Custom Guitars by Ervin Somogyi

Handmade Guitars | Handmade Acoustic Guitars | Custom Acoustic Guitars | Petros Guitars

Tippin Guitars | Beautiful Handcrafted Instruments ? Graceful Original Design

- Inlay Design Studio

William Laskin | Guitar Maker

Manzer Guitars - HOME

poro78 likes this.
  4. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

I would have Put Brian Howard on that list..
    It all depends on what you wanna spend?
    $1000ea to $40,000ea

5. pshupe

pshupe Member

I wouldn't go to a luthier that can't put a pickup in a guitar or can't get wood that the customer could! You probably haven't got much in the way of response because of some of the comments like "properly bonded" and "legally binding written guarantee". This is the type of customer you avoid like the plague! ;-) That being said. Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

tugboat likes this.
  6. Earnest Buyer

Earnest Buyer New Member

In retrospect, I'm sure you're right. But I've never had a guitar built for me before, so I guess I needed the obvious pointed out to me.

You're right, I haven't. Live and learn, I guess. My thinking was, if I put up half of a really big sum and waited a year, I didn't want to just be out the money if for whatever reason things went south.

7. Earnest Buyer

Earnest Buyer New Member

Thanks a lot Brian, I can't thank you enough. I never thought that I'd get a reply from someone who actually builds guitars, rather than just repairs them. Your guitars look awesome. So it was especially helpful of you to actually show me your competitors. I'm really impressed. But now my head is kind of spinning. I think I'll need to learn more to even know what to look for in a luthier. I'll start researching it, but if you know of anything I could read on the subject, I'm all ears. Maybe you could also clue me in on how I could be protected for a big outlay of cash (see my reply to pshupe) without being so "in the face" of a luthier. I'm really not at all overbearing or difficult, but we're talking some serious money here.

B. Howard and tugboat like this.
  8. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

if you choose a known builder with a decently long track record, you should be fine...unless something like an untimely death occurs, and that's just life...

most luthiers barely get by, some do OK, and the top of the pile have made it...point being the whole concept of bonded, etc., is the worst nightmare of a luthier...they simply don't need that type of hassle...

I'm going to go out on a limb and mention one 'luthier' you should avoid like the plague...Brock Poling...if he's even still around trying to make a living building guitars

9. CatonGuitars

CatonGuitars Member

I am a full time builder and have been a luthier for nearly 20 years. I build steel string acoustics. I will not build a nylon string. My back log is around 12 to 18 months. I will not guarantee an instrument built in less than a year and will not build to a dead line. Not sure what you mean by "bonded" but my company is a legally registered company and all of my guitars have a lifetime warranty. Like many luthiers there are things that I am ok with and things that I will just not deal with. Take a look at my site. If my guitars interest you please read through the ordering section for informant about what i require to be placed on my build list.

Hand crafted custom acoustic guitars by luthier Kevin Caton

Good luck