Save Autographed Guitar

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by ScottyG, May 22, 2019.

1. ScottyG

ScottyG New Member

I have a chance to get some autographs on a blues cruise so I want to bring a guitar body to be signed. I'm thinking of a cheap-ish kit guitar and planning on it being something to hang up as a memento rather than play. But ideally I could play it too! (Not gigs just a few times every so often) these will NOT be any superstar autographs so if I did ruin them, it wouldn't be the end of the world!

With that, I'm looking for suggestions on paints, stains, clear coats and most importantly, what type of pen can withstand all that. (I know a sharpie on bare wood is a bad idea). I'm testing now on maple and mahogany with a white acrylic pen on pre stained and pre painted pieces. But those paint pens can be drippy and messy and unreliable.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I may not know about some product so it's hard to even know what to Google. I have minimum woodworking experience but le a little bit. Thanks