San Dimas Strat Template?

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Yeti, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Hey guys, I'm super new here :wave:

I'm looking to build a San Dimas strat body i.e.: a Strat thats rear routed. I know the basic principal is take a strat template and rout it from the back, but I'm a complete n00b at building things and I wondered if anyone had a template for this, or at least a guide for rear routing the control cavity and the depth of the PU routs.

I found the thread with templates in it and the strat, but It didnt have thicknesses and so on, does anyone have one with thicknesses and depths?

Cheers

2. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

Welcome, Yeti! I'm interested myself if your efforts turn anything up. There are a few design repositories here and there, and I've got some stuff at home I can check through. I don't have access to my links right now, but I can see what's what. Welcome aboard!

Yeti likes this.
  3. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Thanks Renkenstein!

I will let you know if I find anything too. I've trawled google a few times, which led me to finally open an account here, haven't found anything concrete yet.

OT:
    Love your siren builds on ss.org, you and pondman were the final push that got me to decide I was going to build a guitar for myself :D

Renkenstein likes this.
  4. Renkenstein

Sweeet! I always love hearing that I've inspired someone to pick up a tool and put steel to wood. What's your name over on SSO?

Yeti likes this.
  5. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Yeah man. I really love the press you built as a solution to even pressure for gluing tops to bodies. I was actually thinking of borrowing that ideas if thats cool with you. I want to build a Mahogany San Dimas/Rear rout stratocaster body with a Walnut top. I'm too scared to attempt a neck at this point, so I may ask a guy in the UK to build me the 7 string Strat neck clone I want on it.

I wan't to get to the point where I can do it basically all myself as finding production guitars to my spec is kinda a pain.

Thats the plan, I'm in planning mode at the moment and seeing if my living situation will change in the next few months to facilitate the build.

Captaind00m on SSO. I'm only periodically active over there, and generally just lurk in the Luthier forum.

Renkenstein likes this.
  6. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

Making a neck is one the most pleasant parts of the build. ;)
    (And not that difficult)

Yeti likes this.
  7. Renkenstein

Use the press idea. It's great for a first build and unless you have a bunch of clamps...big clamps, you're better off. Don't use the screw in the middle of the body, but you will want some kind of either pins or dowels to remove chance of lateral movement. Try to find the flattest and most rigid plywood you can. I'm thinking of getting a couple steel plates to completely remove ANY chance of deflection in the forms.

Post your progress! I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Yeti likes this.
  8. Yeti

Yeti New Member

So I hear man and thanks for the encouragement. I've seen your builds in your apartment too and they are inspiring :)

I fully plan to build one in the future, a full build neck and body (Probably build 2 as I'm already planning it) etc… But as most of my wood working experience was +/- 15 years ago in High School I'd rather start out on something more manageable. I get the impression building your own guitars can become pretty addictive if Renk and Pondman (sso) are anything to go by.

Renk^^

Thanks for the suggestions, when you say screw in the middle you mean the one that you put through your top where you planned to rout for the PU's to stop lateral movement?

Cheers man for the offer of help too man, I appreciate it. I will totally post when this thing starts, as I say I'm in research mode and may have to move country in the next +/- 12 months so we will see but it will happen.

9. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

Well, I started from about the same situation, only some high school wood working experience... AND I HATED IT. Just wasn't my pint of beer. :D

And the time gap between high school and my first build was ~20 years, so I had 5 years more time to forget the basics. :naughty:
    So if a neanderthal like me can build a guitar by putting some careful thought and effort into it, anyone can. :yesway:

10. Yeti

Yeti New Member

Ah Poro you're just being super humble, I've see your builds. You got game, but thanks for the encouragement. I hear you about careful planning, thats why I'm spending so much time reading now before I go ahead. Sure reading never replaces doing it, but at least if there are any solutions I will have some idea.

If I end up moving in the next year I will probably be living closer to my old man who was a carpenter for many years so I can probably enlist his help. Watch this space ;)