Repair This Badly Damaged Prs Body

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Gabriel, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

So, I got this body from PRS at work today (I work for them) and it's broken at the neck pocket. The bottom of the pocket is completely gone, as well as a little bit of the back of the body. Any thoughts on what I could do to put a neck on it? I was thinking maybe cutting a small piece of wood to shape, gluing and clamping it, then sanding over. I don't really care how much I have to spend or how much work it's going to be, because over all it's gonna be a pretty big challenge for me and it'll be fun. Open to pretty much any idea!

Also, where should I look for a good quality neck to go with it?

2. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

if you intend to repaint it then you could easily make a patch that goes across the area and runs as deep as the normal neck pocket "floor" needs to be and make the patch terminate inside the spring cavity.

if you wanted to be Bad ass then make complete new backplate that spans the entire back of the guitar and make the sucker hollow/chambered while your at it. you could even do a figured back to match the top.

3. bruce bennett

Oh and Double binding too yeah!

4. bruce bennett

remember only the FACTORIES make scrap..

Real luthiers NEVER have scrap. just a different kind of guitar than what they planned on..LOL.

5. bruce bennett

you COULD also turn it into a neck through and just saw middle out to make "wings" and reglue them onto a new neck through style neck.

or your could do it McNaught style (look that one up) from the back side. Some might call that Travis Bean style too

or you could rout the back off the top and put an entire new back on it. it would be a brand new PRS at that point.

obviously there are several options.

Gabriel likes this.
  6. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

I was thinking about that! I'd love to make it a neck through! I have access to all of their tools and templates so I guess I could reroute the pickup cavities and the pot hole near the rear...only catch is that I have to bring my own supplies. Any idea where I can find a nice neck blank? Thanks for the reply!

7. bruce bennett

Well there are tons of places on the web that sell lumber Gilmer wood company specializes in woods for guitars, Bell Forrest products, Northridge ( or was it Northriver) hardwoods,

seriously, start googleing..."Guitar Neck blank" you'll find tons

Also you can find great neck materials on eBay too. you just need to know precisely what you want as far as the dimensions, species and grain structure goes.

there are even companies that can sell you an already built 1 piece neck through ready to glue your wings to it.
    I've used some from Carvin myself back in the day.